Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: The Hidden Cost of Cheap Meat: Buyers Beware

That marked down meat may be a bargain, or maybe not! Learn The Hidden Cost of Buying Cheap Meat, you might be getting more than you bargained fo

Read More: Article: The Hidden Cost of Cheap Meat: Buyers Beware

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

As a Lakotaweon, thank your section on hunting wild game. Native People honor our animals that share Mother Earth with us. Your section of tips in regards to wild game hunting is a good resource to share with one and all. I love that Vegans live among us here, for I too take on a portion of vegan life. Its not good to eat meats everyday, there are plant protein's that are a good substitute for good health and healthy diet's. However that best things about this article is that we all believe in honoring the animal. Thanks for sharing and listening! Lakotaweon!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll never eat veal again! I really have never eaten it anyway but if it is ever offered to me I will refuse. Thanks for the article!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found your article very informative. My family is so very fortunate, we used to raise our own beef from birth to butchering. Then we sold the cows and every fall/winter buy several feeder calves a a local sale barn. We then feed them out and butcher them the following winter. These calves graze in our pasture and can also come into the barn. We feed hay we've grown and give some corn - not grown by us.
    At butchering time, we take them to the local locker to be slaughtered, gutted, skinned and State inspected. Then we take the beef to our sons' garage which he built with butchering in mind. The night before, everything is carefully cleaned with HOT water and lots of bleach. The equipment is all cleaned with bleach and ready for the cutting up. We have over the years purchased used professional equipment. We cut the meat the way we want it. Our hamburger is very lean. [The fat-suet is good for feeding to the birds during winter.]
    People with whom we've shared some of our meat say they can really taste the difference. Our meat tastes better.
    If there is a locker nearby, in rural communities there may be, they often sell meat. It's worth looking into.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have to admit I haven't thought much about sources of meat unless I had heard of recalls or bad press for specific companies. It really pays to do your homework and pay attention.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great article. Antibiotics and hormones are another reason to inform ourselves on the methods of meat production. We are ingesting broad-spectrum antibiotics that are being used by stock yards and hormones used to improve the size of chicken breasts.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The Hidden Cost of Cheap Meat: Buyers Beware

Quote Originally Posted by Irishcolleen View Post
    Don't buy pork from Walmart!

Quite Frankly I won't buy ANY Meat, fruit OR Vegetables from Walmart, let alone Pork.

Our local walmart grocery aisles ALWAYS smell Heavily of Roach Killer. No matter when we go in that store, by the time I leave my eyes are watering, my sinuses are clogged and I have a pounding headache. Every Single Time. The place is TOXIC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast