Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 12
  1. #1
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Baltimore, OH
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Article: Cloth vs disposable diapers... Is it worth it?

    There has been a recent spike in the use of cloth diapers. With new brands coming out and fancy snaps and velcro replacing the old safety pin, using cloth diapers are much more convenient. Environmentally conscious mom's swear by them. But are cloth diapers really saving you money? Here's a Complete cost breakdown

    Read More: Article: Cloth vs disposable diapers... Is it worth it?

  2. #2
    Ground Level Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I do believe that cloth diapers are cheaper in the long run. But I'm not sure by how much. I don't see any breakdown on how much electricity it costs for an extra 4-6 loads of laundry each week. And do you just use cold water? or warm/hot? The temperature makes a HUGE difference. Also, I don't think I have ever paid over 22 cents per disposable diaper.

  3. #3
    Ground Level Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Cloth vs disposable diapers... Is it worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by jettakay View Post
    I do believe that cloth diapers are cheaper in the long run. But I'm not sure by how much. I don't see any breakdown on how much electricity it costs for an extra 4-6 loads of laundry each week. And do you just use cold water? or warm/hot? The temperature makes a HUGE difference. Also, I don't think I have ever paid over 22 cents per disposable diaper.
    36 years ago when my 1st son was born my husband and I lived with my parents and my father decided to see what was cheaper cloth or disposable diapers, pampers , he took electric bills and water bills for 2 months of using cloth and 2 months of using pampers and it was cheaper to use pampers. We of course used hot water to wash the diapers and dried them in the dryer due to high pollen counts in our area in the summer. Needless to say I used pampers for all three of my boys .

  4. #4
    Ground Level Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I think the other thing that needs to be taken into account when one is making this decision is the impact on the environment of disposable diapers vs cloth diapers. There are pro and cons for both and each family needs to research what impact each would have on the environment in the area in which they live.

  5. #5
    Ground Level Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I've been considering this as well for the future and would like to know what the process is for cloth diapers when you are out and about with the baby and they need a change.... Do you bag it up for later or...?

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Ground Level Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Cloth vs disposable diapers... Is it worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mavrick0327 View Post
    36 years ago when my 1st son was born my husband and I lived with my parents and my father decided to see what was cheaper cloth or disposable diapers, pampers , he took electric bills and water bills for 2 months of using cloth and 2 months of using pampers and it was cheaper to use pampers. We of course used hot water to wash the diapers and dried them in the dryer due to high pollen counts in our area in the summer. Needless to say I used pampers for all three of my boys .
    when my boys were born, the women's group at church purchased a 6 month diaper service for me (I had an emergency C-section after 12 hours of labor with my first son so this was nice) and I continued the service for the first year. My service didn't even require emptying the dirty diapers, they provided a large diaper pail that had a place for the disk for odor control in the lid. They washed each load of diapers in a 14 cycle wash with rinses between each cycle. I know that not all services are this good but it is something to consider! So for parents with babies, this is another option to explore if you really want the healthy cloth diaper---cloth diapers breathe more than disposables which leads to healthier skin.

  7. #7
    What's a Budget?
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Cloth diapers all the way. They are more convienent in that you don't have to make a run to the store when you run out. You also don't have to scrounge up money to buy diapers when you have the cloth ones just waiting to be washed. The only problem I have really had is that you have to change them in the middle of the night as your baby gets older. When you change a diaper while you are out just put the used one in the handy little waterproof zip case that comes with most diaper bags. When we go on long trips recycle those plastic bags or bring a plastic garbage bag to put them in until you wash them. For really long vacations or trips get a hotel with a laundry room. There is never really anyone in there. I have 30 or so of the Bumgenius and I have to wash them 2-3 times a week. People are so impressed and have so many questions for you when you use cloth. At my baby shower I offered a raffle ticket for a handmade quilt for every cloth diaper brought, just like people do for packages of disposables. Then I used gift cards to purchase the rest of the diapers I figured I needed on the website. I also hit a good sale on that website too. So for approximately $260 I have diapers for whole time.

  8. #8
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Baltimore, OH
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Cloth vs disposable diapers... Is it worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsWolf View Post
    I've been considering this as well for the future and would like to know what the process is for cloth diapers when you are out and about with the baby and they need a change.... Do you bag it up for later or...?

    Thanks!
    I always have a plastic bag or two in my diaper bag to contain the diaper while we are out. When I get home I just throw the diaper (still in bag) into my dirty diaper pile.

    I have a small trash can with a lid that I put all my soiled diapers into and leave them there until time to wash... No pre soaking.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •