mos

Hollandaise Sauce
      1 egg yolk
      2 tsp lemon juice
      1/8 tsp salt
      1/8 tsp white pepper
      4 tbs unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
      1-1/2 tsp water
      Choose a small saucepan and a metal or heat-proof glass bowl that fits securely in the top of the pan. Put 1/2- to 1 inch of water into the saucepan (just enough that the water level doesn’t quite touch the bottom of the bowl when it’s set in the pan.) Set the pan over high heat. Once it boils, turn the heat down to keep the water at a bare simmer.
      In the bowl, whisk the egg yolk, 1-1/2 tsp of lemon juice, salt and pepper until the mixture is uniformly yellow and slightly thickened.

Set the bowl in the pan and whisk slowly but constantly until the mixture starts to thicken. Be sure to whisk throughout all parts of the bowl. (If steam starts to leak from underneath the bowl, turn the heat down a little.)
      Add one piece of butter.

Continue whisking until the butter is incorporated, then add another piece of butter. Repeat until all the butter is incorporated. The sauce should be thick, smooth and glossy.

Whisk in 1-1/2 tsp of water. Adjust seasoning, adding more lemon juice if desired.
      Remove the pan from the heat. It will keep over the hot water for a half-hour or more, provided you whisk it occasionally.

Alternatively, pour the sauce into a thermos or air pot until ready to serve.
      For further refinement, strain the sauce to remove little bits of coagulated protein: simply pour it though a mesh strainer into the serving vessel. 2 servings.
      This is so good over your favorite veggies.
      no comment

nikimilton

Fussy sauce but SO heavenly!

mos

Yep! Hollandaise is a bit of work! LOL!

That’s why I only make it when I really have a taste for itgiggle smiley I love to cook, but just don’t like laboring over something if you know what I mean.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two Hollandaise Sauce