Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Avocado Brownies

Want to sneak veggies into your family's diet? Try this...
    Avocado Brownies
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups white sugar
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup mashed avocado
    1/2 cup vanilla or plain soy milk
    1/3 cup water
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish. Set aside.
    In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until well-combined. Set aside.
    In a large mixing bowl, beat together the mashed avocado, soy milk, water, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients, mixing until well combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is no longer shiny and a toothpick inserted into the center emerges with only a few crumbs. Allow brownies to cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares and serving.
    Note: I know that ya'll think I'm crazy...BUT...remember when we all heard about using applesauce instead of oil for our baked goods?!! Well, I read an article that you could use avocado in a similar manner! So I adjusted my dairy-free recipe for brownies to use avocado instead of applesauce...figured I'd try this because of the color of avocados (I did the same thing when experimenting with applesauce) and it turned out fabulous! Try it! You'll like it!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Avocado Brownies

Great! I LOVE avocados!!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Avocado Brownies

...giggle... I know that I was reluctant to try applesauce and when I read the article about substituting mashed avocado like we would for applesauce, I returned to my 'tester' recipe -- brownies. And WOW! You would never know of the substitution. We are having a healthy potluck at work on Monday and my offering is bean salad (no one ever brings that) and the brownies that I haven't consumed...giggle...