Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Painting Popcorn Ceilings

Any suggestions for painting a popcorn ceiling ?

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Painting Popcorn Ceilings

Quote Originally Posted by care41 View Post
    Any suggestions for painting a popcorn ceiling ?
    Painting a popcorn ceiling is tricky business, first, you can't clean the surface first without creating a massive mess, so depending on which room you want to paint you might have a very difficult time (for example- the kitchen which might have grease splatters/residue from cooking)

Secondly, you need to know whether or not it's primed underneath, because if it's NOT chances are when you apply another coat of paint over the top, it's going to cause it to fall off in sheets/chunks.

If it Has been previously primed, you can apply paint with a paint sprayer for even coating. Rolling is Not recommended.

Good Luck!
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Painting Popcorn Ceilings

We painted most of our house after we bought it. My husband used a sprayer for the ceiling, and I used a long nap roller. The roller did a better job (OK, maybe it was me! LOL). Make sure you use a long nap roller cover and use the ceiling paint that goes on violet color so you can see where you've already painted. But yes, if it isn't primed or painted after the "popcorn" has been applied, it will peel off.