Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Lessons from The Great Depression

Tips and tricks that were used to help families survive the great depression can certainly be useful during today’s economic crisis, here are a few to get you started

Read More: Article: Lessons from The Great Depression

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

great ideas! please keep sharing them

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using scrap yarn and partial skeins that I have had and those that people have given me to make afghans for the homeless or displaced. I make 3 strips that have 158 rows. I chain 55 with a 5.5 mm hook (about a size 9) and turn and use the half double crochet (HDC) and have 53 stitches across. When I complete the strip I single crochet (SC) around stretching the yarn loosely to reach (on the sides) the hump that comes up with this stitch after 2 rows. On the top and bottom I sc in each stitch. after the 3 strips have all this around them I use the reverse sc also called shrimp stitch to join the strips and reverse sc around the whole thing. I make 2 chains to go around the afghan which I roll up. These are economical and useful to give or have for yourself. They are colorful and when completed people want them...the strips sometimes don't look nice until the finishing work is done. The charity that I have been donating these to have an outreach ministry and seem to really like them.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Reduce, Reuse, Re-purpose, recycle. For example, we like lemoncello and I am making it in a gallon jar. The jar will be used to store baking mix once i'm done with it. The lemon peels will later be candied for holiday gift giving. The lemons I was left with have been dehydrated to make lemon aid or added to my iced tea. Old shirts have been cut into squares to make quilts, jeans as well. Many household items DD has needed have come to her from yard sales and second hand shops. I've made watermelon preserves and watermelon pickles from salad bar discards I arranged to have them save for me. Since I don't have room or the light to grow a garden, I purchase my bulk produce from the local farmer's market and can/freeze/dehydrate accordingly. We eat beans and grain at least once a week. I alter clothing as needed-most don't have the skills anymore. I make my fur babies their cookies-and I share these at holiday time. Clothes are purchased at second hand stores--even for special events. I look for marked down meats (they must be sold within 2 days) and then freeze in portion controlled packages (vacuum sealed). I coupon and ad match and make as much as I can from scratch. My next foray will be into baking all my own bread.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I shop at the Bread Store about 2 or 3 times a week. I freeze the bread as is in it's packaging. When I take it out of the freezer I wrap it in a fluffy towel and place it on the counter overnight. The next morning the bread has thawed and taste fresh. You can only do this once. the bread will crumble.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I shop at the Bread Store about 2 or 3 times a week. I freeze the bread as is in it's packaging. When I take it out of the freezer I wrap it in a fluffy towel and place it on the counter overnight. The next morning the bread has thawed and taste fresh. You can only do this once. the bread will crumble.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use my leftover yarn to make winter scarfs for the homeless, just makes me feel great to be able to help someone.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I make winter scarfs for the homeless with left over yarn that I have or that I buy at garage sales.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast