This is a meal from my youth...this was a regular breakfast at my aunt and uncle's home -- yeah, they were farmers (hence the title) and where I first learned that nothing goes to waste...everything is recycled!
Farmers Breakfast Skillet with Bacon and Eggs
5 strips bacon, chopped
2 tbs finely chopped onion
3 medium cooked potatoes, cubed
6 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
In a heavy skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. In drippings, cook onion and potatoes until browned, about 5 minutes. Pour beaten eggs into the skillet. Cook, stirring gently, until eggs are set and cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the bacon and shredded cheese. Let stand a minute or two, just until cheese melts. Serves 4.
Note: Just so ya know the potatoes were most likely leftover from the night before. My relatives taught me to make the most of what's available and to try and stretch it further. The cheese is my own addition as cheese for my aunt and uncle was a luxury. They had chickens, pigs, horses, and acres of vegetables. Cattle - dairy or beef -- were not on their farm. My favorite memory is out in the field with my aunt harvesting peanuts of all things! LOL! They grew just about every vegetable, but I loved gathering the peanuts and taking them back to the house to boil and/or roast. My favorite is still boiled peanuts...giggle...