Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Healthy Eating Habits

We all understand we need to eat healthy to ward off diseases, lose weight, and generally feel better about ourselves. But if you've never been taught, where do you start... RIGHT HERE!

Read More: Article: Healthy Eating Habits

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have switched to a whole foods diet. Only lean cuts of meat, fresh fruit and veggies and no dairy!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I take exception to your calling gluten-free a "dietary habit". It's a dietary restriction. Gluten-free eating is not fun, easy, or cheap, and most of us eat gluten-free because we have Celiac Disease or non-celiac gluten intolerance. The ones who are doing it as an optional food habit are the ones who have been brainwashed into thinking gluten is a poison, or that gluten-free is somehow better for you than normal food.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Re: Healthy Eating Habits

Quote Originally Posted by Moondragon007 View Post
    I take exception to your calling gluten-free a "dietary habit". It's a dietary restriction. Gluten-free eating is not fun, easy, or cheap, and most of us eat gluten-free because we have Celiac Disease or non-celiac gluten intolerance. The ones who are doing it as an optional food habit are the ones who have been brainwashed into thinking gluten is a poison, or that gluten-free is somehow better for you than normal food.

Actually there are quite a few who are eating Gluten-free because it's the "in" thing to do. I highly doubt such a large percentage of the population was suddenly diagnosed gluten intolerant in the last 2 years.

For most people it's little more than an indignant fad. For some, it's life or death.

If that's all you got out of the guest article on the site than maybe YOU should take the time to submit your OWN article to the site giving some hints and tips about how to reduce expenses on a gluten free diet.
    People are so quick to tear down other peoples writing and article submissions but never seem to step up to the plate and offer solutions, helpful ideas.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Healthy Eating Habits

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBeth View Post
    Actually there are quite a few who are eating Gluten-free because it's the "in" thing to do. I highly doubt such a large percentage of the population was suddenly diagnosed gluten intolerant in the last 2 years.
    That's what I thought for years - till I was diagnosed with celiac disease, and had to research the subject. Doctors are becoming more aware that celiac is more common than was previously thought, and so it's one of the things they look for when a patient comes in with symptoms.

For most people it's little more than an indignant fad. For some, it's life or death.
    Yup, that was pretty much the point I was trying to make. That celiac and gluten-intolerance is akin to a food allergy, not a choice like veganism.

If that's all you got out of the guest article on the site than maybe YOU should take the time to submit your OWN article to the site giving some hints and tips about how to reduce expenses on a gluten free diet.
    People are so quick to tear down other peoples writing and article submissions but never seem to step up to the plate and offer solutions, helpful ideas.
    I DON'T KNOW HOW to reduce expenses on a gluten free diet - that's why I come to sites like this, hoping to find useful hints that I can adapt to my own situation.

I wrote my original comment to hopefully inform the person who runs this site that there is a need and demand for more gluten-free recipes and tips.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

My biggest pit-fall was thinking that IF I was making better choices, baking vs frying, not covering everything with cheese etc, that I could actually Eat more! The scale wasn't going down and my food bill wasn't shrinking either. I combated this by using smaller plates. It really worked! My eyes were seeing what seemed to be ALOT of food but really I was actually eating the Right amounts! I save money now because when I cook, I have two meals from the same amount. My wallet and scale are now Thanking me! LOL! I am also using this site to cut out the nasties that are put into packaged foods and learning to make them Healthier and Cheaper at Home. Win Win! Blessings and Peace

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msjava636 View Post
    My biggest pit-fall was thinking that IF I was making better choices, baking vs frying, not covering everything with cheese etc, that I could actually Eat more! The scale wasn't going down and my food bill wasn't shrinking either.

I had that exact same problem! We bought new dishes for christmas this year and they're about half the size of the other ones we had. At first I thought everyone would just go back for seconds and thirds, but they haven't been. I don't think they realize the difference in the size of the plates. It really works!!
    I'm part of the Official Welcome Wagon crew!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mandy1 View Post
    I had that exact same problem! We bought new dishes for christmas this year and they're about half the size of the other ones we had. At first I thought everyone would just go back for seconds and thirds, but they haven't been. I don't think they realize the difference in the size of the plates. It really works!!
    I am Happy to hear someone else has had sucess with using a smaller plate! I had started to think about those So Called "Healthy Choice" type of meals I had seen at the stores. My Mother used to Love those. All the plates/dishes seemed to be the same size and they were All Much smaller than my own dinner plates. I used to tell my Mom that I would NEED to eat at Least Two of those to get Full! LOL! So pleased that I took a Leap of Faith and it has payed off! Blessings and Peace