Vacuum Sealers- Do they Save Money?- vBCms Comments

Learn how to use a vacuum sealer to reduce your monthly grocery bill Read More: Article: Vacuum Sealers- Do they Save Money?

vacuum, article, save, money, sealers-, bill, grocery, read, monthly, http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=4414-vacuum-sealers-do-they-save-money, learn, sealer, reduce

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Vacuum Sealers- Do they Save Money?

Learn how to use a vacuum sealer to reduce your monthly grocery bill

Read More: Article: Vacuum Sealers- Do they Save Money?
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just got a food saver for Christmas from my in-laws. Looking forward to using it, thanks to these tips.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

very informative. learned a lot of new ideas.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip on folding the paper towel to keep the meat juice from getting sucked into the motor and well! sometimes the juice prevents it from sealing well and then we have to resituate the meat and start again, this will save a lot of hassle and frustration. Thank you!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is one kitchen gadget that I do not own. Sounds like I need to invest in one soon. Thanks for the information.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can reseal an opened bag of cereal or chips. After opening the bag, simply place the opened edge in the sealer and press seal. I've had my FoodSaver for years, use it regularly and would replace it immediately if it should quit working.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love my FoodSaver! I picked it up at a garage sale a couple of years ago for $3..Can't believe they didn't like it!! I've bought several canisters at thrift shops, and I recently ordered the jar sealers from the FoodSaver website. I've found that Goodwill is an especially good source for supplies...I just got 4 brand new boxes of bags for $1 each.
    I use mine for meats, mixes, sealing pasta, sugar, flour, spices and leftovers.
    And Lukers...thanks for posting about sealing cereal and chips. I was wondering if that would work, but didn't want to risk messing up my sealer.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is awesome, I've been looking for a way to keep my veggies fresh, I can't wait to try it

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love my Foodsaver! I've had it for several years and use it for everything! It's great not only for meats and veggies but I seal my dehydrated foods too!

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Could anyone venture advice on choosing a FoodSaver model? Which model do you have, and would you recommend it to others? I am seeing a huge difference in pricing with different models, but am not sure which one is a good option!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use my Foodsaver to really stretch the savings I get by buying meats in bulk from Zaycon Foods. Nothing like putting away six months' worth of chicken, bacon, ground beef, hot dogs or other items at a time in sizes your family can use.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love my foodsaver! I just ordered the attachment to seal mason jars. It will extend the life of a grab a n d go salads as well as homemade fruit cocktails. When we head to the mountains it's the perfect way to take along prepared pancake mix, or Mama's snack mix!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the idea of using a FoodSaver, but I'm concerned about the re-usability of the bags. You say they can be washed, but it looks like FoodSavers seal the bags by melting them, so you must cut them to open them -- so the part you re-use is smaller than the original bag, right, and you have to throw away the old sealed part? Or is this done some other way now?

Also, I wonder what kind of plastic is used to make the bags and whether there are any concerns about it leaching possibly harmful chemicals into the food (BPA, for example).

My family produces very little trash (less than 1 kitchen bag every two weeks), and being able to save our own food this way might help us to produce even less trash, but only if the bags can be completely re-used.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

This may be a bit of a reach, but I've even used my FoodSaver to seal my bed sheets in sets for winter/summer storage. IE: Flannels get washed, dried, matched into sets and stored for the summer.
    For camping, I seal and freeze meats, cheese and even milk before packing the ice chest, so the ice will last longer.
    We've even sealed sets of clothing for each family member during travel. The elimination of air cuts down on the room needed in our luggage.
    My dad just about doubled over in laughter when I sucked his jacket down to a fraction of it's normal size so he could fit more souvenirs into his suitcase after a recent visit.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Love my vacuum sealer. I bought a heavy duty sealer at a home show probably 10 years ago. I tried the FoodSaver and if you were doing lots of sealing I found that the heater bar just could not keep up and about 90% of my bags ended up leaking or gaining air. I can now seal up major amounts of stuff for hours. Love the tip about the paper towel in the meat. I seal soups, stews, sauces and liquid stuff too. What I do is open the drawer below where I have the sealer so the bag is vertical and not flat on the counter. I watch closely for the liquid to start wicking up and when it is just barely reaching, switch to seal from vacuum. It leave a tiny bit of air, but good enough for me!