Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Any MYO remedies for dry, itchy skin?

I get extremely dry skin on my hands every winter, usually to the point where it cracks and bleeds in some places. It always gets really rough and even red in some areas. This year is much colder and drier than it has been in recent years, and so I'm even getting areas of red, itchy bumps on my legs.

I've tried using various lotions multiple times a day, even that Vaseline Intensive Care stuff, which my wife thinks is the best. Nothing really seems to be making a difference, and the itching can get almost unbearable at times.

I'm not sure if it's eczema or psoriasis or what, but I never have any problems during warmer months. Only in winter. We now have a Nest thermostat in our home, which also reports humidity, and for example right now it's only 21% inside the house. I'm sure that's part of the problem.

Anyone know of a good home remedy, or some kind of natural remedy that won't break the bank? That Vaseline IC stuff is pretty expensive!

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Any MYO remedies for dry, itchy skin?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    I'm not sure if it's eczema or psoriasis or what, but I never have any problems during warmer months. Only in winter. We now have a Nest thermostat in our home, which also reports humidity, and for example right now it's only 21% inside the house. I'm sure that's part of the problem.
    !

Yes, this is Precisely the main problem. Get a humidifier and increase the humidity to abut 50-55% in the house. My husband also gets dry patches when the humidity drops and I give him 2 vitamin E capsules per day during the winter months. It makes a huge difference in his skin and "itchiness" level. It also wouldn't hurt to consume a tsp or 2 of organic coconut oil per day.

Here's a TASTY way to eat it: GroceryBudget101.com- - MYO Healthy Chocolate from Scratch | Homemade Chocolates |How to Make Chocolate from Scratch!

Not only is the VIC lotion expensive, it's loaded with nasty chemicals including methyparaben, aluminum and dimethicone (which incidentally is an ingredient in Caulking and floor finishes, tile sealant, etc. Combine 1 cup of coconut oil with 10 drops of Lavender essential oil and apply a small amount to the affected areas nightly.

Sorry to hear that winter is taking it's toll on you! Spring is on it's way

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone know of a good home remedy, or some kind of natural remedy that won't break the bank? That Vaseline IC stuff is pretty expensive!
    That lotion does work good but I always worry about all the chemicals in it. I'm currently eating 2 tsps of coconut oil daily to treat my eczema and it seems to be working really well for me. It's actually pretty tasty. I think I saw a recipe on here for whipped lotion/butter too but I don't remember where exactly. Maybe someone else knows the one I mean?

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

The main thing I'm worried about increasing the humidity in the house is condensation or even frost on the INSIDE of our windows. Our windows are pretty cheap, crappy units, which means the inside surface of the glass is only marginally warmer than the outside. That means the dewpoint is almost certainly going to be on the interior side of the glass, which will put liquid water inside our house. Not a good thing.

So some coconut oil AND vitamin E supplements might be good? I already take a vitamin D supplement daily.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

That looks awesome. However I wonder about the statement that olive oil is not healthy. Besides the fact that it would likely ruin the taste of the recipe, I always thought olive oil was extremely healthy, or is that only EVOO?

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

My skin also gets very dry and itchy in the winter-time..especially my legs! I'm going to try some of these and hope it works!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know that itchy skin really sucks especially when every thing fails, so when my patients come in and complain about dry itchy flaking skin I tell them to go to Wal-Mart to the cooking oil isle and by the Wal-Mart brand Extra Virgin Olive Oil its very cheap and works wonders. You can apply it as often as you like, I usually tell them after the shower and to put extra on knee, elbows, and feet (not between toes if you are a diabetic). The oil doesn't have a smell and if you would like can add essential oils of your choice but I personally just rub it on. This is also good if you have dry itchy scalp, I use it as a hot "oil treatment" for my very kinky curly dry hair.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Liss View Post
    Yes, this is Precisely the main problem. Get a humidifier and increase the humidity to abut 50-55% in the house. My husband also gets dry patches when the humidity drops and I give him 2 vitamin E capsules per day during the winter months. It makes a huge difference in his skin and "itchiness" level. It also wouldn't hurt to consume a tsp or 2 of organic coconut oil per day.
    So I just got a 28 oz jar of organic coconut oil, $14 at Kroger. But since it's below 76 degrees it's solid. How does your husband take it? Cooked into something else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast