Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Book January 26-February 1

I know that I posted that I would be posting boring menus due to the diet, but after reading the book...I'm just not ready to face that extreme! Don't get me wrong...I know that Ian Smith's eating plans work, but with the economy and food prices, I just can't handle it budget wise! So until things ease up with the cost of products, I'll just try to eat healthy and plan well!
    Sunday -- baked chicken and broccoli lasagna...$14.91
    Monday -- Boston butt in the crockpot with peirogies and buttered carrots...$32.13
    Tuesday -- chicken salad over lettuce and rice...$7.45
    Wednesday -- Mexican rice (using leftovers from Monday and Tuesday)...$16.06
    Thursday -- chicken pot pie...$$12.34
    Friday -- pork hash and potatoes with salad....03

Saturday - smoked sausage skillet...$7.50
    I went way over my budget...$98.42 for the week, BUT I still have chicken, pork, and smoked sausage to carry me through to next week and farther if I work things properly...giggle...
    Last edited by mos; 01-26-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: January 26-Fevruary 1

Your menu looks super healthy and tasty!
    Your broccoli lasagna -really- caught my attention...I would love to see your recipe for that.
    Thanks for sharing your menu plan...it's fabulous as always!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: January 26-February 1

...giggle... It is so simple! Just prepare a package of lasagna noodles according to directions (I don't do the no boil method -- I always boil them for at least five minutes). Mix 2lb frozen broccoli pieces with six cups white sauce. Add the usual spices for a quick sauce: garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, basil. In other words, add the ingredients that you would to make traditional lasagna. Layer the noodles, broccoli in white sauce, and shredded cheese. Repeat until all used up. Top with a layer of shredded cheese. Bake at 350 covered for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes.
    Bottom line...think broccoli and white sauce instead of meat and red sauce. I came up with the recipe last night and I can tell you that it turned out perfect tonight! I'm portioning up the leftovers for future side dishes and lunches;-D

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your menu sounds great. I may have to investigate the broccoli lasagna. I'm sure my husband would like some italian sausage with it. Thank you for sharing.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lala72 View Post
    Your menu sounds great. I may have to investigate the broccoli lasagna. I'm sure my husband would like some italian sausage with it. Thank you for sharing.
    Italian sausage would make it a great, different main dish. Just using broccoli makes it a great side dish;-D Play with the recipe and add what your family would like...make it your own! ...giggle... I get tickled when members see a recipe of mine that makes them think, 'what if I added this or that?' Just remember that with this recipe, broccoli goes better with cream sauces, not tomato-based sauces. Have fun and let us know what you come up with!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love the borccoli lasagna! That would be a great idea for using all kinds of veggies that you have around. And I alwasy have Italian sausage. It is on my "must try" list. Thank you!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My friends...the only veggie that I can come up with that this recipe would not work well with is Brussel Sprouts! LOL! I can not think of another single veggie or combination of veggies that wouldn't work!