1/4 tsp kosher salt
      8-12 wonton wrappers
      Peanut, canola or vegetable oil for frying
      Dipping Sauce
      1 tbs soy sauce
      1 tbs rice vinegar
      1 tbs Thai sweet chile sauce
      1 tsp chili-garlic sauce
      For the dipping sauce, whisk together all ingredients.

Mix the crab, cream cheese, scallion, curry powder and salt, trying not to shred the crab too much.
      Fill a small bowl with a few tbs of water. If your wonton wrappers are rectangular rather than square, trim them into squares.
      Lay out the wonton wrappers on a clean, dry surface. Place a heaping teaspoon of the crab filling in one corner of each wrapper.
      Working with two or three at a time, dip your finger into the water and moisten the edges of the wonton wrappers.

Fold the corners together over the filling to form a triangle. Press the edges of the wrapper together so they adhere. (You can do this ahead of time, but cover the wontons with plastic wrap so they don’t dry out.)
      Meanwhile, heat about three inches of oil in a deep, heavy pot to 360F.
      Carefully add the wontons to the oil and fry, turning once or twice, for 4-6 minutes or until deep golden brown on both sides.

(Depending on the size of your pot and how many wontons you have, you may want to do two batches.) Remove the wontons and place on a rack or paper towels to drain (if using paper towels, remove the wontons after a minute or two so they don’t reabsorb the oil). Serve hot with dipping sauce.
      mornincoffee smilie

FreeKingOut

These sound delish! Thanks for sharing them with us! Where do you get the Thai sweet chile sauce, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before

mos

I’m not sure where you are located, but my Food Lion that I shop at is great for having an entire aisle of Asian products…it helps that I have known the manager for years (he was actually at a different location, got transferred, and I followed him because I knew that he would order products that weren’t in the store). If you don’t have a Food Lion, is there an Asian market, Whole Foods, or Trader Joe’s? I have a friend that shops the latter two and has found this ingredient there.

If you don’t have any of those stores in your vicinity, try making friends with the manager and see if you can get products that you want…it’s always worked for me wherever I lived. For what it’s worth, I’ve found that making friends with the person in charge of the meat is a good start — I give him/her some home-made goodies at this time of year and I get ‘special’ cuts for the next year! LOL!

mjv2005

They sound so yummy can’t wait to try them!

mos

They are fabulous and I so enjoy making them! I splurge every three months or so on ‘take-out’ but never on this item because I can make it for less!

Jennifer Green

Will be trying these. Where I am located, they don’t make crab rangoons here in any of the restaurants, and it is one of my favs!

mos

I do so hope that you and your family enjoys them! Let us know how it goes…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.