Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Homemade Hash Browns problem

When I make my own hash browns by shredding potatoes, they always turn this horrible brown/gray color and look like cemetary gravestones! What am I doing wrong? How do I prevent this?
    ~No Matter how bad it gets, I'm rich at the Dollar Store!!~

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Homemade Hash Browns problem

Quote Originally Posted by Tashdan View Post
    When I make my own hash browns by shredding potatoes, they always turn this horrible brown/gray color and look like cemetary gravestones! What am I doing wrong? How do I prevent this?
    My guess is, if you go look at the bag of potatoes you're using, they're "Russets"- which is your first mistake.

Potatoes come in 2 varieties, Mealy & Waxy.

Mealy potatoes include Idaho’s, Russet, Burbanks, Russet Arcadia, Norgold Russet, Goldrush, Norkotah and Long White. You'll know them because they are Thick skinned, they're very high in starch.

Waxy potatoes - Round White, Round Red, Yellow Potato, Red skin Potato and Salad Potatoes, Waxy potatoes are high in moisture, high in sugar but low in starch and have a thin skin

Russet potatoes are very high in starch, you need to use waxy or thin skinned low starch potato. DONT Use them for has browns or tater tots.

Next, once you shred your WAXY potato, rinse it, spin it in a salad spinner, then rinse it again. Keep rinsing until the water is clear and no starch remains.

Then, and only then, will you have "Pretty" hash browns.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had this same problem when I made my own hashbrowns. I wonder if there is a different method than a spinner. I don't have one. But now I know that it was the potato I was using and not how I made my hashbrowns.

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use Russet or Idaho. After they have been peeled and shredded, place the shreds in a bowl of cold water and let them sit until water is milky. Rinse and repeat a few times until water is somewhat clear. This process helps remove the starch from the spuds. Strain them in a colander each time, and be sure to rinse them with cool water under the faucet. If the potatoes are turning brown or gray, try putting a little lemon juice in the water.

Squeeze the shredded potatoes in your hands to remove excess water. Dry on a cotton towel and pat dry with another cotton towel or with paper towels. Get them as dry as you can. Toss the dry potatoes with a little flour; just sprinkle some in with your fingers and toss them around. This is why it is important to dry them, you don't want them to clump together.

Heat your pan with enough oil to just cover the bottom of the pan and use about 1/4 cup to measure the potatoes.

I hope this works for you!
    Loreann

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I know I'm going to fix hashbrowns for breakfast I'll boil up a few potatoes and keep them in the refrigerator. In the morning, I just peel and shred them. I can cook them on a higher heat to get that yummy crispness. Also any time I bake potatoes I make extras...they make great cottage fries.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is very good advice!! Now I know where I went wrong, too!