Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Planning ahead for the garden

So I'm looking through catalogs and pinterest and finding all the lovely ideas I want to do in my garden this year. Then the practical comes into my head again. I need to plan out a simple basic vegetable garden so I can freeze, dry, can, and enjoy a summers bounty.

I have old seeds from years gone by that I'm going to give a try. I'm mapping out what I want to grow and what it needs. I'm going to use containers and line the edges of my patio with vegetables!!

What re your plans??

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Planning ahead for the garden

I have a good sized garden plot, and I know approximately what I will plant, just the same things I have planted last year. I just need to decide where in plot each will go, then decide if I will start plants from seed or buy plants this year. Then i need to get old manure from my neighbor's mule pen and haul it to my yard in April, till it in, then start planting. Oh yes, and burn the old plants on a calm day and till the ash in too.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I plan to plant only things that work well for freezing or canning. Maybe one hill of watermelon and cucumbers, but we generally don't eat a lot of pickles so I don't do a lot of them. Last year we couldn't eat them all.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love pickles!! I'm planning a good bit of cucumbers, squash for canning and freezing. Peppers for freezing and drying. I need a nice day to get out and work on my containers and ares to get ready. I have been doing container gardening but I'm going to some raised beds and in the ground stuff this year.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have already started my garden. It starts every fall with clearing the old veggies, saving seeds from the non-GMO veggies, and adding rabbit-poop. We raise rabbits and the pellets can go on the garden year-round as they are the "safe" fertilizer that will not burn out your plants in the spring. We cover the garden with leaves from the yard and hay from the hen house. In the spring, we will till it all in and I will plant the early veggies (potatoes, beets, cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic) rotating them from where they were last year. Then, as it warms into full spring days we will plant the rest of the garden with heavy on the tomatoes. (I love making my own tomato sauce and diced canned tomatoes for chili). I love canning and keeping enough for year-round eating that includes green beans, corn, peas and carrots. I freeze 25 lbs of blueberries and 30 lbs of blackberries usually. Mmmm....All of it is fresh and making me hungry to think about.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm collecting my vegetable and fruit scraps, egg shells, coffee grounds and such to add to my compost pile. I've got a large one way in the back of my lot, but I'm going to work on a homemade tumbler style one to have closer on hand. PLans are abuzz in my head for gardening this year.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started a new 4x4 foot raised bed last fall, placed it so my irrigation will water it for me and half filled it with mulch and leaf mulch a friend was getting rid of. I've been adding kitchen scrapes and egg shells, all of which I run thru the blender for quicker composting Need to make a quick trip to Starbucks for coffee grounds and to Lowes for a bag or 2 of garden soil. mix it all up and I'm ready to go. Great bed for very little cost!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did the same thing! Loved being able to harvest fresh herbs & vegetables. Hopefully I will find even more useful tips on this site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast