Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question I have a question about homemade laundry soap.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC1976 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if any of these laundry soaps (dry or liquid) work well for people with sensitive skin? My granddaughter just joined the household and her and my 6-year old daughter both have sensitve skin!! Laundry soap doesn't last long around here with 6 people (plus one new one) to equal 7. And to top that, buying clear and free soaps is getting real expensive.
    I used to make my own powdered laundry soap and it worked well for my husband and my 5 year old daughter who both have sensitive skin. I stopped making it only because we got the HE washer and dryer and didn't know if I could use it in them or not.

I also made it with store bought Fels Naptha soap and with my own homemade lard soap as well and neither way bothered them at all.

I hope this helps,
    Lisa (mom to 5 yo dd, 3 1/2 yo ds and 7 week old ds)

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I have a question about homemade laundry soap.

I think it would depend on what kind of soap is used in your homemade laundry detergent. Some use a hypo allergenic (Dove?) bar soap, some use Ivory, others use Castile and still others use Zote or Fels Naptha. Others use their own homemade bar soap.

Here is a good recipe:

Homemade Laundry Detergent Powder

Grate 1/2 bar Fels Naptha soap (or 1 bar of other soap) in a food processor or with a cheese grater. Add 1 cup Borax, 1 cup Washing Soda, and 1 cup Baking soda. Process until mixed.

Use 1 Tablespoon per light load and about 2 tablespoons per full (large and dirty) load of laundry.

Laundry Rinse (instead of fabric softener)

1 gal white vinegar
    25-30 drops essential oil - optional (Just gives it a nicer smell)

Use 1/4 c in the rinse cycle. (The vinegar clears the last bit of soap remaining on all your clothes and reduces static.)

Note: I have read differing results as to the use of Fels Naptha soap for those with sensitive skin. (some it bothered, some it didn't.)

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have on ein the house with eczema and use the ivory soap, borax, washing soda mix. I use the Fels Naptha for stains on the clothes (rub it into the spot) I have been doing this since last summer and vinegar in the rinse cycle. This year he has had less problems with his skin.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

From the information I have gathered, the above recipe will NOT make suds (or very little) in your washer so it is said to work fine in HE washers as well as traditional ones. Natural soaps are best (whether purchased or homemade). Is also said to work in cold water wash. Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post

Here is a good recipe:

Homemade Laundry Detergent Powder

Grate 1/2 bar Fels Naptha soap (or 1 bar of other soap) in a food processor or with a cheese grater. Add 1 cup Borax, 1 cup Washing Soda, and 1 cup Baking soda. Process until mixed.

Use 1 Tablespoon per light load and about 2 tablespoons per full (large and dirty) load of laundry. Thanks; Virginia
    Also, another quick tip that I learned awhile back is to use a salad shooter to shred your soap up. Then, let it dry up for a few days and then crumble it up or put the dried shreds in a food processor to crumble.

I got my salad shooter on eBay for about $10.00 with shipping.

I hope this helps someone.
    Lisa

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    From the information I have gathered, the above recipe will NOT make suds (or very little) in your washer so it is said to work fine in HE washers as well as traditional ones. Natural soaps are best (whether purchased or homemade). Is also said to work in cold water wash. Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia
    Virginia,

I heard the same thing but haven't tried it yet on my new machines. I'm a bit scared, I guess, since the machines are so expensive. But, I think I will try it as soon as I run out of the HE liquid that I'm using. I make the powdered recipe that you posted above and love it.

Lisa (mom to 5 yo dd, 3 1/2 yo ds and 7 week old ds)

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all!! I will give it a try. I should know in a few days after washing if it bothers anyone.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I make the powdered version and give it to my sister who has and HE machine and has had no issues with it.

I also use vinegar in the rinse, it was a bit strange to get used to having no smell in my clothes (like you get with fabric softener), but it works great. I have also noticed that the slime build up in my softener dispenser has disappeared. I believe the vinegar cuts through the old slime and build up, which has to be good for your drain hoses. Also no build up in the dryer lint screen.

I don't have anyone with sensitive skin but it is not overly expensive to try it.

Good Luck
    Linda
    "Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast