i need help with a food budget !

I live on 179.00 in food stamps from the government month. I have a 16 year old growing boy that comes over every other weekend? I would like to start stocking up on stuff that will not cost a lot and last a long time in storage. any suggestions?

recipes, feed, boys, teenager, sister, filling, inexpensive, good, site, budget, food, noodle, ramen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default i need help with a food budget !

I live on 179.00 in food stamps from the government month. I have a 16 year old growing boy that comes over every other weekend? I would like to start stocking up on stuff that will not cost a lot and last a long time in storage. any suggestions?

Waiting for my ship to come in
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: i need help with a food budget !

Quote Originally Posted by vickyka View Post
    It's tough when kids are that age because they eat so much and so often. Casserole style dishes are great because they can go back for more and more.

Have you seen the sister site GroceryBudget101.com too? It has guideline ideas for menu plans.

Do you like to cook? There are pasta recipes here on the site that are really simple to make and cost less than .25 a serving. We LOVE the Pizza Pasta recipe, it's da bomb! Most kids love pasta/italian style food dishes.

What area of the country are you from, do you have an Aldi store in your area?

(here's the pizza pasta recipe)
    GroceryBudget101.com- - Make Your Own Pizza Pasta | How to Make Pasta | Pasta Recipes
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

GroceryBudget101.com- - 2014 $50 Budget Menu Plan Week #1 | Menu Plan Monday | Budget Menu

I've been following these since Liss started these a couple of years ago...LOVE THEM!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love Aldi for saving money. They have great produce & have started a line of organic products too

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh wow I will have to go check it out!

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also look at the Ramen Noodle recipes on this site. I have 4 teenager boys to feed along with their little sister and these recipes are good, filling and inexpensive.
    bamo72

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vickyka View Post
    Oy! Food budgets can seem overwhelming, but learning how to plan and stretch meats will save big time.

Do you can? Canning dried beans is cheaper than buying canned beans. There are tons of recipes on canning to save money.

Ground beef is an excellent meal stretcher. One 10 lb pack (cost around $11.00 in my hometown) could last all month. By planning ahead of time, it can be separated into portions and used in taco's, soups, as burgers, chili, casseroles, etc...

Chicken or turkey is another good one for soups, enchilada's, chili, or sandwiches.

Pasta's are great and they can be made at home with just three simple ingredients, and a little elbow grease if you don't have a pasta machine.

Breads can also be made at home for cheap. Don't feel like you have to buy hamburger buns or hot dog buns when plain light bread works just as well.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you haven't already been introduced to extreme couponing, now might be a good time. I generally only buy items when they are on sale and I have a coupon for them. I try to buy enough to tide me over until the next sale. You can find a coupon for just about anything if you look hard enough. They are everywhere; coupon printing sites, Company facebook pages, company websites, the newspaper, grocery store flyers, grocery stores themselves, smartphone apps, and grocery store web pages. If you don't have a printer you can print them out at your local library. If I absolutely have to buy something and can't find a good deal I will buy a store brand item.

If you are asking for ideas for foods that are cheap and filling I would recommend refried bean wraps, spaghetti or other pasta dishes, cereal, Turkey Chilli, and potatoes. You can make a lot of things with potatoes including baked potatoes, french fries, potato salad, home fries (which is a New England thing), potato soups, and shepherd's pie.

Another thing you can do is ask your local grocery store when they mark down their meat and baked goods. Stock up on these items when they are on clearance and freeze them. Lastly buy in bulk. A large chicken or turkey can make a lot of meals. I usually get five or six meals out of one bird. The first night we eat the meat with veggies and then I use the left overs to make soups, sandwiches, casseroles, and pot pie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast