i need help with a food budget !- General Budget & Finance

I live on 179.00 in food stamps from the government month. I have a 16 year old growing boy that comes over every other weekend? I would like to start stocking up on stuff that will not cost a lot and last a long time in storage. any suggestions?

recipes, feed, boys, teenager, sister, filling, inexpensive, good, site, budget, food, noodle, ramen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default i need help with a food budget !

I live on 179.00 in food stamps from the government month. I have a 16 year old growing boy that comes over every other weekend? I would like to start stocking up on stuff that will not cost a lot and last a long time in storage. any suggestions?

Waiting for my ship to come in
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: i need help with a food budget !

Quote Originally Posted by vickyka View Post
    It's tough when kids are that age because they eat so much and so often. Casserole style dishes are great because they can go back for more and more.

Have you seen the sister site GroceryBudget101.com too? It has guideline ideas for menu plans.

Do you like to cook? There are pasta recipes here on the site that are really simple to make and cost less than .25 a serving. We LOVE the Pizza Pasta recipe, it's da bomb! Most kids love pasta/italian style food dishes.

What area of the country are you from, do you have an Aldi store in your area?

(here's the pizza pasta recipe)
    GroceryBudget101.com- - Make Your Own Pizza Pasta | How to Make Pasta | Pasta Recipes
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

GroceryBudget101.com- - 2014 $50 Budget Menu Plan Week #1 | Menu Plan Monday | Budget Menu

I've been following these since Liss started these a couple of years ago...LOVE THEM!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love Aldi for saving money. They have great produce & have started a line of organic products too

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh wow I will have to go check it out!

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also look at the Ramen Noodle recipes on this site. I have 4 teenager boys to feed along with their little sister and these recipes are good, filling and inexpensive.
    bamo72

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vickyka View Post
    Oy! Food budgets can seem overwhelming, but learning how to plan and stretch meats will save big time.

Do you can? Canning dried beans is cheaper than buying canned beans. There are tons of recipes on canning to save money.

Ground beef is an excellent meal stretcher. One 10 lb pack (cost around $11.00 in my hometown) could last all month. By planning ahead of time, it can be separated into portions and used in taco's, soups, as burgers, chili, casseroles, etc...

Chicken or turkey is another good one for soups, enchilada's, chili, or sandwiches.

Pasta's are great and they can be made at home with just three simple ingredients, and a little elbow grease if you don't have a pasta machine.

Breads can also be made at home for cheap. Don't feel like you have to buy hamburger buns or hot dog buns when plain light bread works just as well.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you haven't already been introduced to extreme couponing, now might be a good time. I generally only buy items when they are on sale and I have a coupon for them. I try to buy enough to tide me over until the next sale. You can find a coupon for just about anything if you look hard enough. They are everywhere; coupon printing sites, Company facebook pages, company websites, the newspaper, grocery store flyers, grocery stores themselves, smartphone apps, and grocery store web pages. If you don't have a printer you can print them out at your local library. If I absolutely have to buy something and can't find a good deal I will buy a store brand item.

If you are asking for ideas for foods that are cheap and filling I would recommend refried bean wraps, spaghetti or other pasta dishes, cereal, Turkey Chilli, and potatoes. You can make a lot of things with potatoes including baked potatoes, french fries, potato salad, home fries (which is a New England thing), potato soups, and shepherd's pie.

Another thing you can do is ask your local grocery store when they mark down their meat and baked goods. Stock up on these items when they are on clearance and freeze them. Lastly buy in bulk. A large chicken or turkey can make a lot of meals. I usually get five or six meals out of one bird. The first night we eat the meat with veggies and then I use the left overs to make soups, sandwiches, casseroles, and pot pie.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fabulous ideas! Home cooking is a must for staying on budget. Cut out processed foods and snacks unless you can get the free Orr cheap with coupons.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I fix "stretcher dinners" for my family. Great example that I do regularly would be 1st night pinto beans (*NOT fixed w/ meat just dried seasons w/ salt & pepper) fried potatoes etc. 2nd night I use the left over beans to fix chilli & have grilled cheese or PB sandwich... on 3rd night I use left over chilli for having chilli dogs w/ fries etc.

Hope sharing stretcher idea helps you to save & fix for your family as well. Believe I know & understand it's more than difficult eating health, cheaply & maintaining a tight budget. I wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely, SimplyTLC

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm new at this site and already love it. thank you!

Ground Level Lurker
    I live in the Dominican Republic, on the north coast - the Atlantic coast.
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am retired and also on a tight budget.
    I have stopped buying prepared foods - except for the occassional tin of tuna.
    I have stopped drinking pop - and after withdrawal - do not miss it at all. So many other inexpensive options - teas, water with a bit of lemon juice, hot water with a bit of lemon, and more.
    Fortunately, I have a freezer - so I only buy something that is on sale.
    I buy good grade hamburger on sale - not the high fat content stuff - in as large and cheap a container as possible - and repackage it into one portion patties and freeze them. The patties can be used for anything - not just hamburgers.
    No more tinned food. Dry (beans for example) or bulk.
    I make lots of caseroles, stews, soup - and freeze what I do not eat the first day.
    I use lots of pasta and rice - makes great meals combined with in season veggies (and the hamburger from the freezer)
    I have started baking - make my own pizza dough - and make my own ice cream with the freeze and stir method.
    When I go out to eat - it is at lunch time - lots of specials (or buffets) where you can pay less than it would cost to prepare the same meal at home.
    When beef (or pork) is on sale, I buy the least expensive roast, cut it up myself, and use my slow cooker to make it tender and tasty.
    I know where there are a lt of fruit trees and now have permission to collect fruit in season. I have dried apples, made and frozen apple sauce and have made cider from various fruits.
    My labor is cheap - and I discovered that I have fun preparing all these different affortable meals.
    Oh - and by the way - I am a guy. If I can do it - so can you !!!

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE IDEAS! I think it was cute what you said at the end! you made me smile! I will try it! I don't have a deep freezer but I will see I can cut back on things and get them when they are on sale.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Menu planning has helped us stay within our food budget. We have a strict $100 a week budget for feeding our family of five. We also have guests for a minimum of two meals a month. We live in a small town and our ONLY grocery store is a local market with high regular prices. Fortunately they put out a phenomenal sales ad every other week. The nearest chain store is a 20 mile drive.

Every Wednesday I take a look at their sales prices and plan our menus around that. For example, last week boneless skinless chicken breasts were on sale for $1.69 a pound. I bought 10 pounds. Lean ground beef was $2.99. I bought 6 pounds. Stew meat was $2.79. I bought 3 pounds. This is enough meat to get us through two weeks and I am feeding 2 1/2 times the number of people you are. I also bought fresh apples for $0.50 a pound, broccoli for $0.69 per pound, onions for $.39 per pound, roma tomatoes for $0.33 per pound... celery, zucchini, lettuce, cilantro, six bags of frozen veggies, tortillas, yogurt, two bags of chips, two gallons of juice, even a gallon of ice cream. You get the idea. There was actually a lot more on my receipt. I spent a total of $75 on two weeks of meat and produce.

The key is to stay on the outside isles where they put the meat, dairy, produce, bread. Stay away from the interior isles, they tend to have expensive over processed foods. And STICK TO YOUR LIST! I know approximately how much I am spending before I walk thru the door of the store. Also, don't shop when you are hungry.

I purchase staples like milk, eggs, cheese, bananas, etc at Costco once a month. I also buy from the bulk bins at WinCo once a quarter, but I only spend what I have saved from the previous weeks budgets. And I have a bread maker that we use almost daily.

Quick Menu is below.

1. Three Cheese Chicken Rolls (I posted my recipe in the diabetic section of the forums)
    2. Chicken Fajita's (one of the frozen veggie bags was peppers and onions)
    3. BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
    4. Hawaiian Chicken with rice
    5. Chicken Alfredo with broccoli
    6. Beef Stew (another bag of frozen veggies was a stew blend)
    7. Beef Stroganoff
    8. Tacos
    9. Burgers
    10. Spaghetti with homemade sauce
    11. Chili
    12. Omelets and pancakes

The other two days are what we call free night. Everyone is allowed to eat whatever is left in the fridge. It's a good way to use up leftovers. Generally there is enough dinner left to pack lunch for my husband the next day and also for myself and the little one to eat. If I have leftover chicken or taco meat I will generally use it for a lunch time salad or turn it into a quesadilla. Rice is used with leftovers to make stir fry. Leftover meat and veggies are also put into our omelets.

I should note: If next week's flyer has pork chops and roast on sale then that is what will be on our menu for two weeks.

If it sounds like too much cooking it really isn't. I prep most of the meals and toss them in freezer bags. Later I take out the freezer bag to thaw and pop it in the crock pot to cook. Minimal mess and clean up except on prep days. My bread maker has a delay setting so fresh bread is a cheap easy addition to just about any meal.

Before we started menu planning we were both working over an hour commute away and we were eating out at least three nights a week, plus every day for lunch, and still spending over $800 a month on groceries for the house. That doesn't include the gas we were using to drive the 20 miles to town so we could get better prices on our food shopping.

Best of luck!

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

thank you so much for the ideas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast