Ovaltine

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      lmitchell

Does anyone know of a copycat, MYO recipe for Ovaltine? It goes quick in my house and was wondering if i could save some money by making my own.

Candace

Diastatic malt (malt powder) used to be made from sprouted barley in which the enzymes had been given time to turn the starches present into sugar. The sprouts are then dried, and ground into powder. I have no idea if this is still how they do it for products like Ovaltine.

*IF* I were to try to make my own, I’d start by sprouting some barley, only for a few days to get a “short sprout” (no true “leaves”) and then spread the sprouts on a baking tray and put them in a VERY low oven until dried (you could use a dehydrator, too, if you have one). I would then grind them in a blender, and mix with cocoa and a SMALL amount of sugar, and regular milk powder, to make a “chocolate” version of homemade Ovaltine.

FreebieQueen

I would think you could just add cocoa powder and confectioners sugar to malted milk powder to make your own.

Malted Milk Powder

Liss

@lmitchell 289004 wrote:

Does anyone know of a copycat, MYO recipe for Ovaltine? It goes quick in my house and was wondering if i could save some money by making my own.

Yes- here you go:

Budget101.com – – Copycat Ovaltine Mix | Copycat Recipes | Make your Own Mixes | Homemade Mixes

kbeeps

That’s fascinating to me – I had no idea you could make your own malt powder. Thanks so much for the information!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.