Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Looking for a DIY Fabric Softener

Does anyone have a good recipe for a fabric softener? I am going to make the laundry detergent and would like a good fabric softener to go with it.

Thanks in advance!

Susan

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for a DIY Fabric Softener

I pour vinegar into the fabric softener dispenser, and add a few drops of essential oil, ( lavender is my personal favorite, but peppermint takes out odors really well, and I like sweet orange and lemon also. ) Note: if you don't have a dispenser on your machine you can use one of those Downy balls or something similar. To make it easier I just take a gallon jug of vinegar and add the essential oil, probably about 30-40 drops to a gallon, and shake well before each use) but just the plain vinegar works equally well as a softener, and also keeps your machine clean'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to angel101 For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smerriman View Post
    Does anyone have a good recipe for a fabric softener? I am going to make the laundry detergent and would like a good fabric softener to go with it.

Thanks in advance!
    Susan

Here is what I use, it is even great when you dry things on a close line, our dryer dies almost 2 years ago and can not afford to replace so line dry it is, and there is very little stiffness in the clothes like you normally get. (This is copied exactly as I found it with 2 minor spelling corrections.)

- 3 Cups of White Vinegar ($1.50 at Dollar General for the gallon)
    - 2 Cups of Hair Conditioner (I used Herbal Essences purchased from Kroger on sale with coupon for $.77)
    - 6 Cups of Water
    - Container to hold and mix in.

HOW TO MAKE:

1. Since the Conditioner I use is 10.1 oz and calls for 16 oz. I have modified the rest of the recipe. I am using Herbal Essence Conditioner I purchased on sale with a coupon for $.77 at Kroger about 5 months ago. So my new measurements are:
    10 oz Conditioner
    15 oz of White Vinegar just less than 2 cups
    33 oz or 4 Cups of Water
    2. Add all ingredients together and mix well.
    3. Use a Wash cloth to soak in your fabric softener and ring out when you are ready to place in your dryer. Place the wash cloth in with your load. You can also add just 1/4 cup to the fabric softener compartment in your washer.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Dawn! I do not typically use anything more than vinegar in my rinse cycle, but I will keep this in mind. My hubby likes really really soft clothes and I also hang my wash to dry!! My dryer works but hec, I have done the calculations, and I saved just a little over 0 in 2013 on my electric bill, because I didn't use my dryer (only in emergencies lol - I have teenagers ) They get one emergency per month and after that they have to pay me to dry a load of laundry!! lol That's what the laundromat charges. Love your recipe here.. will try it!! Thanks again!

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks in advance!
    Susan

Homemade Fabric Softener Recipe

Homemade Fabric Softener Recipe #2
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks in advance!
    Susan
    If you're using the laundry sauce recipe you won't need an additional softener. It makes your clothes super soft and you can toss a balled up tinfoil ball into the dryer to keep static off your clothes. Some people like to use it anyway, but I never do because my washing machine locks shut and it's a pain to cancel it to open to add softener, lol.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I mix 6 parts of white vinegar to one part baking soda. I keep it in an old vinegar bottle. You must shake it to mix before each use but it works great and, no, your clothes will not smell like vinegar. You won't believe how fluffy and soft your clothes - especially towels - will be. Check the label on one of your towels. I bet it will say to not use fabric softener. Why? Because fabric softener coats the fabric and your towel will not absorb water. You may add a drop or two of essential oil (not fragrance oil) is you want to.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gonna give this a try thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast