Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Birthday Party Help?

I'm new to this list, so I hope that my question is not out of line, or "off topic." My son will be nine in Feb. and wants to have a "real" birthday party, where he invites friends, and not just a family affair. I'm a single mother on a very tight budget, so I am not really sure how to pull this off. The big trend for birthday parties in our area is to rent one of those space walk things. I have priced them, and at $100+ per day, I can't afford it. Does anyone have any ideas for party games that will be fun and exciting for nine year olds, yet still inexpensive to pull off. Also, what about inexpensive favors? I have inexpensive source of papergoods, but the games and favors are still perplexing me.

Thanks in advance,
    Vickie in SC
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hit your local dollar store for party favors, also for a game you could have a scavenger hunt, you could theme it to a pirates treasure map and have the kids find the "loot"
    deb

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try the dollar store for favors and stuff. Something my son's friends love to get (I have yet to understand why) is sticky note pads (the 3" x 3" size). You can get packs of mechanical pencils from your 99? store. Add some candy and a cheap game (like a maze) and you are good to go.

For something fun, what about a treasure hunt around your house (including the couple on either side of it - on the outside only) with clues along the way. You could also make a cake that looks like a treasure chest.
    There are moon walks that are cheaper then $100. So I you wanted to do that you still could. I believe one place close to me (in Houston) was around $50, but you did have to get it set it up & bring it back (and reserve it about a month in advance). I did that a couple of years for my son, Then had a picnic table set up so they could play Pokemon or Yugioh games for some downtime. The kids had a great time.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vickie,
    Definitely go to the dollar store or factory card outlet if you have one. You can play pretty much any game, so long as you give a prize, they should have fun with it. Surprisingly I've had a lot of success with pin the tail on the donkey, even in older kids parties. I think it's all about the prize!

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Target also has a $1.00 section now. I have noticed though that you can get
    some things cheaper at Target than the dollar store! I recently bought playdoh
    at the dollor store and it was more expensive than at target!

Zanna

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have 2 books that you may be able to find at your local library. We did a bowling alley party this year and it was expensive so next year I?m planning to have the kids pick out something from the books.

Birthday Parties for Children, How to Give Them, How to Survive Them by Jean Marzollo

The Penny Whistle Party Planner by Meredith Brokaw

I liked the penny whistle one best. When I looked it up on Amazon (to double check the title) there were a few others also written by her. Also, you said you had a source for papergoods. Another place to look is on your local Freecycle list. I have seen many offers of party invites, etc. for different themes come through on my list. Go here http://www.freecycle.org/ to find your local group.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

One word for favors..........pinata! I made one using a large balloon, newspaper and a flour/water paste and filled it with candy for my niece. We put tons of candy in it and the kids filled up small gift bags. That's all we did for favors. The kids had a ball wacking at it. Just be sure you can hang it in a safe place.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, if you don't have space to whack at a pinata you can still do
    them. Use a box, a computer paper box with a lid works great. You
    hang the box, top down so punch an hole for a hanger in the bottom
    of the box. Punch holes around the sides from the lid to the sides
    of the box and use toggles/buttons to hold the lid on. Attach
    string to the toggles and give each kid one to pull when it's time.

Christie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast