Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Tortilla Soup
04-21-2007, 09:20 AM #1
- Join Date
- Mar 2007
These are the two recipes that I have... hope it helps : D
Good Luck & God Bless...
6 cups chicken broth (Swanson is best)
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup water
1 cup canned dark red kidney beans, with liquid
1 cup frozen yellow cut corn
1 cup frozen cut green beans
1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
1/2 cup diced Spanish onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
6 corn tortillas, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
dash garlic powder
1 cup grated cheddar/jack cheese blend
1 cup crumbled corn tortilla chips
1. Combine all the soup ingredients in a large saucepan or soup pot over high heat. Be sure to mince the corn tortillas into small pieces with a sharp knife before adding them to the soup.
2. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the soup has thickened and tortilla pieces have mostly dissolved.
3. To serve soup ladle 1 1/2 cups into a bowl. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the grated cheddar/jack cheese blend over the top of the soup, and then a heaping tablespoon of crumbled corn tortilla chips over the cheese.
Tortilla Soup II
8 ounces carrots, diced
8 ounces celery
8 ounces onions
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons corn oil
4 cans chicken broth
1 can tomato, diced
1 can rotel tomatoes & chilie, Diced
1 (1.25-1.5 ounces) packet taco seasoning
1 (10 count) package corn tortillas, broken into small pieces
12 ounces chicken meat, diced, poached or grilled fajita meat
1 cup milk
12 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces
1. Saute carrots, onions, celery in corn oil, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper until tender.
2. Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
3. Add tomatoes, Rotel, taco seasoning, and chicken.
4. Cut Tortillas into small pieces and add to broth mixture.
5. Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are thoroughly incorporated into soup stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.
6. Reduce heat and add 8 oz. cheese. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
7. Add milk and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
8. If thicker soup is desired, add more diced tortillas and let incorporate into soup.
9. Garnish with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.
10. Substitutions: 1 cup Masa Harina (Masa Flour) for 1 12 ct. package of Yellow Corn Tortillas Gradually add masa flour mixing into broth.
11. Mixing thoroughly into broth.
12. If thicker soup is desired, add more masa flour~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
All of my posts were transferred from
the budget101 Discussion list