Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Make it yourself Fleece Hats

Winter is coming up, fast! Make a cute fleece hat for your kids, easy to make, very quick, and the colors and patterns are nearly unlimited!

Items Needed:
    Tape Measure
    1/2 Yard Fleece Fabric
    Scissors
    Needle & Thread (Or sewing machine)
    1 - 6 inch strip of fleece

First, use a fabric tape measure to measure the head you wish to make the hat for.
    Next, cut a peice of fleece 16 inches wide, and as long as the head measurement- PLUS 2 inches to allow for seams.
    Fold the fleece, so that the 16 inch edges are flat together. Sew a zigzag stitch with a machine, or a basic straight stitch by hand, up the side, leaving the top 3-4 inches unsewn. Turn inside out so the seam is inside.
    Roll the bottom edge up twice, so that the seam is hidden. You can do a quick stitch to hold it into place, too.
    Gather the top unsewn area and tie off with the fleece strip. You can leave as it is, or you can fringe it with scissors. I recommend fringing it before you tie it off.
    Alternative idea's:

Sew two strips of contrasting fleece back to back, turning inside out so the seams are inside. Construct as mentioned above, for a contrasting color on the turned up side, and added color to the top fringe.

Add buttons, fleece cut out shapes, ribbons and more to the turned up cuff for decoration.

Total time spent- about 10 minutes.

This is a great craft for kids to help out with, or even do themselves.

Heather
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another thing I like to make in the winter are handmade fleece scarves. It seems like my kids are forever losing stuff, and these things can cost up to $5-6 at the store.

What you need:

Fleece Fabric, 2 or 3 strips 60-80 inches long, 3-4 inches wide. Cut so that it is stretchy width wise, not length wise. I buy my fleece in remenents at Jo-Ann's & Wal-mart, and usually get it 20-50% off the price of buying the same cut from the bolt, and I get LOTS of patterns and colors to choose from this way.

Sewing Machine

Scissors

What to do:

Lay the fleece strips on top of each other. The edges do not have to match perfectly.
    Sew a zig zag stitch straight down the very MIDDLE of the fabric, not the edges.
    Use your scissors or a rotary cutter to fringe the edges. You can do it narrow or wide. Make sure you leave about 1/2 inch of space near the middle uncut, so the scarf doesn't cut apart!
    Decrotive Touches-

Use contrasting colors & patterns for the layers to make a full and colorful scarf.
    Twist and pull the fringe to curl it.
    Use school colors!

This project takes roughly 10 minutes, and can be done with help from little ones. Make sure to help them with the actual sewing!

Heather
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post: