6 to 8 oz sliced mushrooms
    2 tbs butter
    11 oz can mandarin oranges, drained

1 small bell pepper, green or red, seeded, cut in strips
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    3 tbs cornstarch
    1/4 cup cold milk
    1/4 cup cold water
    Combine marinade ingredients in a non-reactive container with lid or a large sealable food storage bag. Blend well. Add the chicken to marinade. Cover or close bag and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours, or overnight.
    Place the marinated chicken in the slow cooker. Add marinade to cover chicken. Sauté mushrooms in the butter, then add to chicken and marinade in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours. About 1 hour before done, add mandarin orange sections, green pepper and ginger. Stir well. When done, mix together the cornstarch, milk and cold water, then gradually add into the slow cooker while stirring. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer, until thickened. Serves 6.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: All-Day Slow Cooker Chicken

I got a 10 # bag thighs and leg quarters and I was wondering what I could do with them, every time I bake them they never seem to turn out right, So when I follow someone recipes, I can make some decent chicken. can we use thighs and leg quarters in place of chicken breast that some recipes calls for?

Thanks Ruth.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely! This recipe would be perfect for your great purchase!! I'm a dark meat fan, but I know that many members prefer white meat. So I post recipes using chicken breasts. If you use thighs and leg quarters, I suggest cutting back on the chicken broth and eliminate the salt (you can salt to taste after the food is done;-D) As you know, thighs and leg quarters have more moisture, so you can reduce the amount of moisture required...whether it be standard cooking or crockpot cooking.
    I so hope that this made sense! Let me know if this works for you;-D

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really enjoy cooking in the slow cooker after working all day coming home to dinner already cooked is perfect. This chicken sounds like a keeper. Thanks.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Re: All-Day Slow Cooker Chicken

I tried this a little different, I doubled the recipe so I can have leftovers, (I think) Chicken was delicious, Had plenty of liquid, I don't think I did the cornstarch right though, It did not seem like the liquid got thick, but I figured, maybe later I can make soup out it. Maybe add some pasta. Not quite sure yet. I plan on trying this recipe again later with chicken breast and see if it turns out the way it was suppose to.

Quote Originally Posted by mos View Post
    Absolutely! This recipe would be perfect for your great purchase!! I'm a dark meat fan, but I know that many members prefer white meat. So I post recipes using chicken breasts. If you use thighs and leg quarters, I suggest cutting back on the chicken broth and eliminate the salt (you can salt to taste after the food is done;-D) As you know, thighs and leg quarters have more moisture, so you can reduce the amount of moisture required...whether it be standard cooking or crockpot cooking.
    I so hope that this made sense! Let me know if this works for you;-D

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

lilmomma,
    You said that you doubled the recipe, but it didn't work for you. Did you use milk or water to mix the cornstarch? I recommend that you eliminate one or the other. I make this with leg quarters as you did but use one or the other to thicken the 'juices'...so to speak;-D Let me know your thoughts on this.
    boogiesmom1985,
    I know what you mean...I know I've done well when I can smell dinner as I insert the key into the door and haven't even opened it! LOL! Hope you enjoy it!