DD has crab apples in her yard and she shared this with me. I remember eating crab apples as a child visiting relatives and enjoyed the jar that she sent to me. Needless to say, I pressed her for the recipe -- not that I have any crab apples around me...but ya know that I have to keep the recipes...giggle...
Spiced Pickled Crab Apples
6 cups apple cider vinegar
8 cups brown sugar
2 tsp whole cloves
3 sticks cinnamon
8 lb crab apples
Boil vinegar, brown sugar, cloves, and cinnamon together. Leave stems on crab apples (why? I have absolutely no clue...just sharing the instructions!). Mix vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil. Put spices in a cheesecloth bag. Add crab apples and spice bag to syrup and boil until apples are tender. Remove the fruit with slotted spoon and pack into hot sterilized jars. Pour in syrup. Seal.
Process crabapples in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes. From 1,001 to 3,000 feet altitude, process for 25 minutes, and from 3,001 to 6,000 feet in altitude, process for 30 minutes. Over 6,000 feet, process 35 minutes. DD included the difference in time due to altitude because she lives in the mountains...she learned from two friends that due varying altitudes that the recipe may need adjusting. For what it's worth, I'm at the lower level...sigh...but can't make this because I don't have fresh crab apples...sigh...BUT, I thought that I'd share a wonderful recipe from DD;-D