Thread: Creole Souflee

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ribbon Creole Souflee

Here's a recipe from mu childhood. I've had to experiment a bit as my DM was 'a little of this and that' kind of cook. Of course, I'm not much better, but with a fairly good memory I can remember what I did and jot it down if it is successful...giggle...
    Creole Souflee
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    6 eggs, divided
    2 tbs diced pimiento
    1 1/2 cups cooked ham, ground

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Add salt and pepper. Cook until sauce is thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
    Beat egg yolks in a small bowl. Add a small amount (about 1/3 cup) of the hot sauce to the egg yolks, stirring quickly to blend. Return egg yolk mixture to the sauce in the pan. Add pimiento and ham. Stir gently.Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir about 1/2 cup whites into the ham mixture. Gently fold ham mixture into remaining whites. Turn mixture into an ungreased 2-quart sauté dish. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until firm. Serves 6.
    Note: My DM was obsessed with piemento...my thought is that it was for color because I cannot find a dietary reason (or flavoring for that matter) for the addition. I've made it with and without and truly do not see a difference. What's your take on this?
    FYI: This was a special breakfast for us...we saw it on birthdays and anniversaries and WOE to those that didn't know which anniversary she was celebrating!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Creole Souflee

Quote Originally Posted by mos View Post
    Here's a recipe from mu childhood. I've had to experiment a bit as my DM was 'a little of this and that' kind of cook. Of course, I'm not much better, but with a fairly good memory I can remember what I did and jot it down if it is successful...giggle...
    Creole Souflee
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    6 eggs, divided
    2 tbs diced pimiento
    1 1/2 cups cooked ham, ground
    Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Add salt and pepper. Cook until sauce is thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
    Beat egg yolks in a small bowl. Add a small amount (about 1/3 cup) of the hot sauce to the egg yolks, stirring quickly to blend. Return egg yolk mixture to the sauce in the pan. Add pimiento and ham. Stir gently.Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir about 1/2 cup whites into the ham mixture. Gently fold ham mixture into remaining whites. Turn mixture into an ungreased 2-quart sauté dish. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until firm. Serves 6.
    Note: My DM was obsessed with piemento...my thought is that it was for color because I cannot find a dietary reason (or flavoring for that matter) for the addition. I've made it with and without and truly do not see a difference. What's your take on this?
    FYI: This was a special breakfast for us...we saw it on birthdays and anniversaries and WOE to those that didn't know which anniversary she was celebrating!

Sounds Delicious! I will be trying this one for sure.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Creole Souflee

Let us know how you like it AND if you used piemento...giggle...