Thread: Trans Fat

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Trans Fat

I'm trying to research how to reduce trans fat from my shopping list and diet, but can't find a lot on how I should do it. The news says to avoid products I don't typically buy; Should I eliminate shortening and how do I bake without it? Should I switch to olive oil entirely and eliminate vegetable oil?
    Any suggestions from my fellow MYO'ers would be appreciated!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Trans Fat

The bottom line is that the body needs dietary fat. Fat is a source of energy, it allows the proper function of cells and the nervous system, and fat is required for the proper absorption of certain vitamins. Fat also helps us maintain healthy hair and skin, and insulates us from the cold. Nonetheless, we should probably limit our fat intake to no more than 30-35 percent of daily calories. Anything lower than 20 percent, however, is unhealthy. Most of that fat should be unsaturated. Use liquid oils over solid fats in cooking. In general, we should choose low-fat dairy products, and the leanest cuts of meat and poultry. We should eat fish (including fatty fish such as salmon) at least twice a week, and keep processed food and fast foods to an absolute minimum.
    Stay with liquid oils and avoid margarine or solid shortening. Butter is a 'solid' fat, but it is still better than margarine to consume. Just use it in moderation when adding to toast or veggies.