Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Home Remedy to unstop a kitchen sink?

Anyone have any home remedies for unstopping a MAJORLY clogged kitchen sink? We've tried plunging and it makes it worse. We've also tried several liquid drainers, sing a snake thing and hot boiling water but nothing work. I really don't want to have to pay to have someone come out and unstop it.

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Home Remedy to unstop a kitchen sink?

What has worked for me is to pour baking soda in the drain and then add vinegar. I don't measure I just pour and then use a kabob stick (I know sounds crazy) to stick into the drain and swoosh it around when the bubbling stops. Then I follow with the boiling water. Hope this helps you.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I read somewhere to mix the baking soda with salt prior to pouring it in.
    Once we had a clog and I kept telling the menfolk to use the wet vac. They assured me it wouldn't work and went to find a plumber in the phone book (yes, it was that long ago). While they were gone, I used the wet vac and pulled the clog out.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use a long crochet hook to clean out the bath tub and sink drains when they clog. This worked wonders because it caught the hair and after I twisted it a few times to secure it I was able to get the hair out of the drain. I have had to do this on three of our drains so far. That is one option, if you don't have a crochet hook just use a wire hanger straightened make a hook on the side with the ridges, this will help catch whatever might be lurking in there.

You said that plunging makes it worse? If you plunge and it backs up in another place then you really should let a plumber look at it. We were restauranteurs in our past life and believe me when I tell you it can get complicated. We have had yards dug up because a tree root had busted the pipe and blocked the drain flow, hot water breaks under a concrete floor (which was a major mess), and stopped up kitchen sinks which are essential in the business. If trying the snake with a hook or hanger doesn't catch the clog then you may need to remove the trap under the sink (the u shaped piece) and check it from that point. You might be surprised what you might find in the trap. Remember to turn the water off while you do this. If that doesn't repair the drain problem then you can drain into a bucket temporarily while you wait on that plumber. At least the sink will be useable. Good Luck

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

NOTE:This will only work if you have a disposal. This is going to sound crazy, but stay with me. Take a broom and turn it upside down. Stick the handle portion into the drain at an angle where the broom handle is wedged in between the desposal blades. Then you are going to twist and turn those blades until they are moving very freely. Once the blades are moving freely, turn on the disposal until the water drains out then follow that with some cold water to wash it out.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yea, I too have used the baking soda and vinegar and it works.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Although the section of curved drain pipe that you find under each sink in your house resembles the letter "U," it more closely resembles an inverted "P" if you take into account the straight length of pipe that leads to the drain. Consequently, plumbers call it a P-trap, and it fulfills the important function of sealing sewer gases inside the drain and keeping them out of your house. A pool of standing water inside the curve creates the seal, but hair and other debris that collect there can block it. Removing it for cleaning is a simple task.
    Turn off the shutoff valves under the sink before you remove the trap to ensure that no one can turn on the faucet while it's off. Put a bucket under the P-trap.
    Locate the large nut connecting the trap to the straight section of pipe that extends down from the sink, called the tailpiece. Turn it counterclockwise to unscrew it. If it's plastic, you can often do this by hand; if it is metal or difficult to turn, use a pipe wrench or adjustable pliers.
    Loosen the swivel nut at the opposite end of the "P," either by hand or with a wrench or pliers. When the nut is disengaged, lower the curved section of pipe and disengage it from the tailpiece.
    Turn the trap over and empty the water into the bucket.
    Reverse the procedure to reinstall the trap after you clean it.
    Things You Will Need
    Bucket
    Pipe wrench or adjustable pliers
    Tip

If you have an older metal trap and the nuts are very hard to turn, it may be too corroded to reuse. If so, replace it with a metal or plastic one.
    If your drain pipes are in the floor instead of the wall, your sink may have an S-trap. It is similar to a P-trap, and the procedure for removing the curved section of pipe is the same.

Daughter, granddaughter, great granddaughter, great-great granddaughter, wife, cousin and aunt to plumbers...some of it has rubbed off.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cjsmith45 View Post
    I read somewhere to mix the baking soda with salt prior to pouring it in.
    Once we had a clog and I kept telling the menfolk to use the wet vac. They assured me it wouldn't work and went to find a plumber in the phone book (yes, it was that long ago). While they were gone, I used the wet vac and pulled the clog out.

Hello cjsmith45,
    I also read this and tried many times. It really worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast