• Money Matters
  • Recipes
  • Tips-n-Tricks
  • Contact Us
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Deal GURU
      Downloads
      Uploads

Default inexpensive gifts for co-workers?

I'm wondering what other people do for inexpensive gifts for co-
      workers? The crafts I make at home with my kids really wouldn't be
      appropriate for my co-workers/boss, I don't want to spend more than
      $5/person, and I don't want to give them junky stuff just so I can say
      I gave them something. Any ideas or suggestions? (I have 3 female co-
      workers ranging in age from early 20s to late 40s, my boss is male in
      his mid/late 40's.)

Also - do any of you ever have miscellaneous gifts on hand for people
      who "drop in"? If not, how do you handle the situation when someone has
      unexpectedly given you a gift and you have nothing to give them in
      return?

Thanks,
      Rebecca
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      All of my posts were transferred from
      the budget101 Discussion list
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
      Downloads
      Uploads

Terrysvillage.com has these little resin potporri pots with holiday themes (snowmen usually) that are (I think) $3.95...BUT....they are buy one, get one free! I usually get a bunch for teachers, dance instructors, last minute gifts etc.

Also, holiday kitchen or bath towels and matching oven mitts can be found at most dollar stores and make fun gifts. Who doesn't like a little bit of the holiday decorating the home?

Monica in IL
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      All of my posts were transferred from
      the budget101 Discussion list
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
      Downloads
      Uploads

I always loved getting things like pretty pencil cups, fun pens (I once got a pen that the girl wrapped a cheap bic pen in green floral tape and glued a large fake flower to the top...I love using it and it looked great on my desk), lotions to keep at my desk, an extra large coffee mug filled with coffee/tea goodies (individual creamer cups, packets of Sugar in the raw, honey sticks, chocolate stir spoons, etc.), a candle jar warmer with a candle, plants, etc.

The coffee cup thing is a great inexpensive idea as you can buy large mugs pretty cheap, buy boxes of those individual creamers, sugars, honey sticks, etc. to divide up between the mugs and you can make chocolate spoons at home using plastic cutlery.

I keep a small box of items that I find on clearance as an emergency gift box. I keep bath stuff, baby gifts, candles, picture frames, etc. I try to keep the stuff pretty gender neutral so I have plenty of things to choose from. I get things at the dollar section at Target, Big Lots, dollar stores, clearance racks, etc.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JennyCup For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
      Downloads
      Uploads

I always make a fairly large assortment of Yule goodies. A few years back, being broke beyond belief, I put a nice selection of these in several baskets that I had hanging around with some tissue from the dollar store and gave those out. To my utter amazement, every last one has asked for this to be repeated since.
      This year's assortment includes a half-dozen of each of the following cookies and about 1/4 cup of the last two:

-Maraschino cherries dipped in melted milk chocolate
      -Shortbread rounds
      -Store-brand "Oreos" half-dipped in milk chocolate and sprinkled with...well..sprinkles
      -Mexican wedding cakes
      -Peppermint bark
      -Spiced Almonds

Depending how fancy you want to get the cost can go up, but we spend about $3 per basket when all is said and done. This is also something the kids can help with.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pyxidragon For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

I go to the dollar tree here and get an ornament for each person in my department. (I only have 6 people anyway) then I wrap it in paper I got on clearance from the year before and add a wrapped chocolate dipped pretzel that I make.

: )
      Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
      Downloads
      Uploads

you could try what I do. I usually will go to the dollar stores and get like a nice candle and candle holder for the girls... I usually have my hubby shop for the men at work... I also like abc distributing - Home and Collections Etc.: Unique gifts, home and garden decor, and housewares. Almost everything $19.99 or less! for inexpensie gifts for people.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flutterbye0419 For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
      Downloads
      Uploads

One of the gals where I work gets together with her sister and bakes loaves of lemon poppyseed bread and gives those out. Everyone here loves them!

I buy Christmas themed items on clearance sale right after the holidays and put them away for the following year. Everyone likes something Christmasy! I got cookie jars one year that had sold for $19.99 for only ONE dollar each after Christmas! Bought several of course! Add a dozen or so homemade cookies for a great gift.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to queenpeggy29 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

I agree with Pyxidragon. Homemade goodies like cookies, spiced nuts, pumpkin bread are always a great hit. And you can make a lot without spending a bundle. Something else I've done is make cookie mix in a jar (you can also do hot cocoa mix in a jar, coffee mix, brownie mix, etc.) Just google "mix in a jar" & you should find a bundle.
      Queenpeggy29 also has a great idea. I also buy things on clearance after Christmas & save them all year for gifts. Something else that I always do is whenever I go to a store I always check the clearance sections - no matter what store it is - Target, Walmart, Petsmart, Victoria's , Bath & Body Works, Barnes & Noble, Old Navy - you get the point. I have found some great gifts for family and friends all year long & I store them for Christmas, birthdays, baby showers, etc. I almost always find t-shirst or boxers at Old Navy for my husband. I store up all year long & then my husband feels like he's hit the motherload on Christmas morning!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast