New here. Help needed with picky hubby

New here. Help needed with picky hubby

Hello everyone, I've browsed this forum for a while, but recently decided to sign up and ask you ladies some questions about budget cooking. I have been married for 3 years and we have been together for 5 years. I should know what he likes and doesn't, right? Well...not so much. I know hes

picky, family, meal, cook, crackers, kids, agree, plan, make, xstepmom, needed, times, eating, allergy, allergic, problems, fine, hubby, food, dinner, allergies

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doh New here. Help needed with picky hubby

Hello everyone, I've browsed this forum for a while, but recently decided to sign up and ask you ladies some questions about budget cooking.

I have been married for 3 years and we have been together for 5 years. I should know what he likes and doesn't, right? Well...not so much. I know hes picky. There are things that I'd love to have, but he will not touch. So with that being said...I need budget dinner ideas that he will eat.

A little about his eating habits:
    1. NO MAYO, SOUR CREAM, OR CREAM CHEESE.
    That is one of the most important things.
    2. No seafood. He won't touch it. Not even tuna.
    3. He will eat chicken, but since its so cheap where I live I tend to cook it a lot, so chicken recipes are welcome, but not favored.
    4. He doesn't like casseroles or soups too often.
    5. He doesn't view salad as a meal. (I <3 grilled chicken salad, but he won't have it for a meal.)
    6. No cabbage recipes please. He won't eat that either.

So those are the guidelines that I have to stick to when cooking for him.

Seriously most of my meals consist of roasted chicken and mashed potatoes.
    Hes a meat and potatoes kinda guy and he can eat quite a bit.

I'm willing to try some recipes with sour cream or cream cheese in it as long as it is not easily detected. He won't eat anything with a white sauce on it.

I realize that this is probably a tough one, but I'm losing my mind trying to find something that he will eat besides sticking to chicken and potatoes.

Our grocery budget is $50 per week.

Oh and rice and beans are not on his list of favorites either. I don't want to waste money by cooking that as a meal because he won't eat it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you guys may be!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New here. Help needed with picky hubby

Have you tried chicken enchiladas, smoked sausage and smothered potatoes or ground meat in smothered potatoes?

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cured my husbands ridiculous Picky-ness by handing him a blank menu plan, a pencil and telling him to make his own damn Weekly Menu Plan that is WITHIN the Limited Budget we have.

He thought we should be eating Meat and Potatoes for every single meal at a detriment to the entire family. I pretty much just put my foot down and said fine, you plan it, you cook it, you be the responsible one for a change.

It's amazing how quickly they turn around & suddenly things taste just fine when THEY have to put some effort into it.
    Finally Saving Money & My Mind !

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Xstepmom!!!!! Awesome... I am telling my sister this one. She has a husband and 4 kids. Everyone is picky except her. She is going crazy trying to plan meals!! She is going to love your idea!! THANK YOU

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is picky eating and there is allergy problems. If you not allergic in our family you have to try it. If you don't like it fine. Eat crackers for dinner. I am the picky one in the family. Plus I have food allergies. Not fun. My kids ate crackers a lot and so did I a few times. I agree with xstepmom. Have him make the meal plan and cook it. Have him cook his own meal.
    Last edited by Rie142; 10-10-2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with the above comments, having him create the meal plan himself and even cooking it himself. If you think that's harsh, you could help him by suggesting that he think of a few different things you've done in the past that he liked.

Also, if you're serving salad and grilled chicken (plus whatever else), cut up your chicken and make it a chicken salad at the table and he'll see that it's a meal.

Good luck!

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalWife13 View Post

Hello everyone, I've browsed this forum for a while, but recently decided to sign up and ask you ladies some questions about budget cooking.

I have been married for 3 years and we have been together for 5 years. I should know what he likes and doesn't, right? Well...not so much. I know hes picky. There are things that I'd love to have, but he will not touch. So with that being said...I need budget dinner ideas that he will eat.

A little about his eating habits:
    1. NO MAYO, SOUR CREAM, OR CREAM CHEESE.
    That is one of the most important things.
    2. No seafood. He won't touch it. Not even tuna.
    3. He will eat chicken, but since its so cheap where I live I tend to cook it a lot, so chicken recipes are welcome, but not favored.
    4. He doesn't like casseroles or soups too often.
    5. He doesn't view salad as a meal. (I <3 grilled chicken salad, but he won't have it for a meal.)
    6. No cabbage recipes please. He won't eat that either.

So those are the guidelines that I have to stick to when cooking for him.

Seriously most of my meals consist of roasted chicken and mashed potatoes.
    Hes a meat and potatoes kinda guy and he can eat quite a bit.

I'm willing to try some recipes with sour cream or cream cheese in it as long as it is not easily detected. He won't eat anything with a white sauce on it.

I realize that this is probably a tough one, but I'm losing my mind trying to find something that he will eat besides sticking to chicken and potatoes.

Our grocery budget is $50 per week.

Oh and rice and beans are not on his list of favorites either. I don't want to waste money by cooking that as a meal because he won't eat it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you guys may be!
    Spaghetti

Ravioli with marinara sauce

Quiche (Swiss cheese, bacon)

Ham Rolls: Cut yeast dough into squares and fill with Swiss cheese and thinly sliced ham. Fold over and seal the dough edges. Bake until golden.

Pot Roast & Veggies: Sounds expensive up front but you can get many meals for two from a roast. Serve the roast one night then follow up with beef hash, barbecue beef sandwiches or roast beef with brown gravy on a slice of bread. Serve with mashed potatoes on the side.

Beef & Noodles. If he dislikes casseroles serve the beef cubes and gravy separately from the noodles. You can also do this with chicken and noodles.

Roast a turkey breast and make turkey sandwiches, turkey hash, turkey divan.

Cheap veggies:

Carrots are always cheap. Serve them as raisin carrot salad or glazed or steamed and plain.

Peas are usually cheap. Serve them steamed, as a salad or in a white sauce.

Corn another cheap veggie. Serve plain, in melted butter or as corn custard or pudding.

Onions: Make caramelized onions and serve on the side with pork or beef.

Hope this helps.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a SERIOUS problem with picky eaters as it totally screws the budget. I would hand your DH the blank piece of paper, the $ amount for the budget that week, AND the weekly flyers and ask him to make out the menu for you and yours! The alternative is to eat the healthy menu plan that you've laid out for the week or he can just eat crackers! You might want to increase your stash of crackers! LOL!
    That being said...I encourage you to check out all of the fabulous meal plans laid out here and cook to your heart's content!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast