Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for Recipes with TVP

A bit back, I bought 2 bags of Bob's Red Mill TVP, even though I wasn't sure what to do with it.
    "Why" you ask? At this point, not sure. Seemed like the thing to do at the time.
    Now I want to use this, but to do so means finding out ways to do just that. lol

Any ideas?

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for Recipes with TVP

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPaws View Post
    A bit back, I bought 2 bags of Bob's Red Mill TVP, even though I wasn't sure what to do with it.
    "Why" you ask? At this point, not sure. Seemed like the thing to do at the time.
    Now I want to use this, but to do so means finding out ways to do just that. lol

Any ideas?
    You can pretty much use it as you would ground beef, you reconstitute it 1 c. TVP & 1 C. Boiling Water and then use it in any recipe that calls for ground meat. You may have to add additional seasonings and in the past we've used it as a meat Extender rather than a meat replacement when we were making larger dishes.

TVP Tacos

2 cups TVP (textured vegetable protein)
    2 cups water
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
    1 package taco seasoning
    1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
    1/4 cup salsa
    flour tortillas or taco shells

Preparation:
    In a large skillet, heat the water over medium heat, and add the TVP, stirring well. Allow the TVP to reconstitute for 2-3 minutes.

Add oil and soy sauce, then peppers and taco seasoning, stirring well. Allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix in salsa and remove from heat.

Serve wrapped in a flour tortilla or hard taco shells.

TVP Sloppy Joes

2-3 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion, diced
    1 green or red bell pepper, diced
    1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    dash hot sauce or tabasco sauce (optional)
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 1/2 cups TVP
    salt and pepper to taste
    5-6 hamburger buns

Preparation:
    In a large skillet, sautee the onion and peppers in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions are soft.

Reduce heat to medium low and add the remaining ingredients (except buns) and stir well to combine. Allow to simmer for at least 15 more minutes.

Spoon onto hamburger buns and serve hot.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for Recipes with TVP

It also depends on whether you purchased the chunks or the granules. You can use it in homemade Pot Pies (the chunks). Granules are used as Ground Meat, meatloaf,tacos, burgers, shepards pie, etc

TVP has NO flavor by itself, so like liss said above, you need to season it properly using boullion cubes/ seasonings or it'll suck up the flavor of whatever recipe you're making.
    Finally Saving Money & My Mind !