Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surgery

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Surgery

I am going to be having surgery in a few weeks. Outpatient, but still a major surgery. How should I explain it to the kids? How in depth should I go? My son is 8 and is sensitive to others. He only knows I am sick.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by lmitchell View Post
    I am going to be having surgery in a few weeks. Outpatient, but still a major surgery. How should I explain it to the kids? How in depth should I go? My son is 8 and is sensitive to others. He only knows I am sick.
    Hugs to you both! Probably the easiest way to explain surgery to an 8 year old is to wait until you get closer to the surgery date. You don't want him dwelling on it for weeks and chances are if he starts throwing around the words hospital and surgery etc at school, he's going to start hearing stories of other surgeries that you might not want him to hear.

When it gets closer towards your surgery date I would tell him, "You know that Mom's been sick? Well, mom found a doctor that can make things better. He's going to perform surgery which means he's going to take out the part that's been making mom sick, but when I come home, I'm going to need you to help out a little bit for a few days."
    Finally Saving Money & My Mind !

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Surgery

Hi I pray that your surgery turns out well. I too am having surgery on 10-10-13 at LSI. My youngest child is 13, since she knows the problems and pain that I am in daily, I told her exactly what my surgery would entail and all the benefits we can look forward too once it is over.

I would suggest that you not give him full details but let him know what to expect afterwards, such as giving you help in the beginning, but also looking forward to doing things with him that you may not be able to do now. I'm sure if you put on a positive face that it will keep him from worrying too much. Children are so much stronger than we think. I wish you all the best!

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

When my kids were in elementary school I had to have urgent surgery for gall bladder. I told the kids that I had rocks in my tummy and the doctor was going to take them out. Keep it simple and be honest, kids don't need details but letting them see where you will be if you are staying over, letting them know you will be sore afterward so you won't be able to do some of the things you did before until you heal are important.. All my kids wanted to know was the basics where, why, how, when and who is taking care of them.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

The surgery went well. The kids know my tummy is sore and it doesn't help that i have a medicine ball/bubble hanging out of my stomach pumping pain killers directly into me. Fun times. I get to pull that out myself tomorrow night. Gross. My mom came up and watched the children. She did great until the boys got home and everything became seriously chaotic. Then, the teenager returned from school and she was a great help. If I didn't mention it before, my surgery was a hysterectomy. Not the greatest of surgeries but hopefully I should be feeling better soon. Just in time for the holidays, at least. Tristan, the middle son, has been the best help of the three boys. He comes over and asks if I need anything and rubs my back. He brings me the cat to snuggle with. She usually lets me pet her for a bit and then goes about her business. Since she cannot sleep on my stomach, she doesn't want to stick around. Everyone is trying to be helpful with me and my pastor has been in contact with us offering the same support. With any luck, I should be able to attend church on Sunday and can slowly get back to normal.

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The surgery went well.
    So glad to hear that you're doing well and having a chance to get some rest following your surgery! Hugs to you !!
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The surgery went well. The kids know my tummy is sore and it doesn't help that i have a medicine ball/bubble hanging out of my stomach pumping pain killers directly into me. Fun times. I get to pull that out myself tomorrow night. Gross. My mom came up and watched the children. She did great until the boys got home and everything became seriously chaotic. Then, the teenager returned from school and she was a great help. If I didn't mention it before, my surgery was a hysterectomy. Not the greatest of surgeries but hopefully I should be feeling better soon. Just in time for the holidays, at least. Tristan, the middle son, has been the best help of the three boys. He comes over and asks if I need anything and rubs my back. He brings me the cat to snuggle with. She usually lets me pet her for a bit and then goes about her business. Since she cannot sleep on my stomach, she doesn't want to stick around. Everyone is trying to be helpful with me and my pastor has been in contact with us offering the same support. With any luck, I should be able to attend church on Sunday and can slowly get back to normal.
    Thank Goodness everything went fine with the surgery. Thanks for the update!
    Now what's left is for you to rest and heal..hopefully that's SUPER SOON!
    Wishing you a speedy recovery. Many hugs!!

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am so glad you are doing well. I know its hard but hang in there, you will heal quickly and the more you work at getting around, the easier it gets. Here is a tip for moving around:

1. move slowly, roll your body to sitting
    2. standing can be tricky- keep a chair close for balance (this worked great for keeping my reading materials close.
    3. When you are moving, coughing, traveling in the car place a bed pillow over your surgical area and hold it tight while doing the above. This was the best tip the nurses gave me.

Most of all get well soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast