YES! You can cook a pot roast while camping and serve a hearty meal to your campers...especially, if like me, you like to go camping during the cooler seasons of the year when everyone else stays home. Just so ya know, I've pitched a tent during an ice storm -- used my dome tent of course, and it became a 'manufactured' igloo...it was so warm and toasty inside, that we had to sleep in our underwear! LOL!
Oh, yeah, back to the recipe...
Pot Roast
2-3 pound chuck roast
1 large onion
2 large potatoes
1/2 pound baby carrots
3 stalks celery
1 15-ounce can beef broth
2 bay leaves
2 stems fresh rosemary
2 stems fresh thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
corn starch

water
oil
Place 12 charcoal briquettes beneath Dutch oven and allow to heat. Dredge roast in flour, salt and pepper and drop into lightly oiled Dutch oven. Brown well on both sides. Slice onion and add it to the pot along with the beef broth, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary. Cover Dutch oven and place 8 charcoal briquettes on lid. Every 30 minutes: add 8 fresh charcoal briquettes below and 8 on top of the Dutch oven. Check level of liquids and add water if, necessary. Rotate Dutch oven and lid 90 degrees to avoid cooking hot spots. After 3 hours: peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Slice celery. Add potatoes, carrots and celery to the Dutch oven. Refresh the charcoal and continue cooking for 1 more hour. To make gravy: remove roast and vegetables to serving plate leaving juices in the Dutch oven. Mix 3 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water to make a thin paste. Pour this into the juices, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil and gravy has come to desired thickness (about 3 to 5 minutes).
Servings: 4
I usually group everything in baggies that need to be together: seasonings, veggies, gravy stuff, etc. You can package however fits your needs best;-D