Need Help!!! – Chicken Legs

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Need Help!!! – Chicken Legs

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      rtebalt

Hey guys, this is a little silly, but I thought I’d ask anyway. I’m a pretty decent cook. (I love to cook, have tons of cookbooks, watch FoodNetwork all the time, etc.) Hubbie & I love chicken & I have made a million different chicken dishes, but…

I always use chicken breasts (because they’re healthier). Anyway a couple of weeks ago I bought a bunch of chicken legs (because they were on a great deal) and froze them. I want to use them, but I’ve never cooked with chicken legs before.

Yes, I know that’s silly! 🙂 Anyway, they still have the skin on & I want to know if anyone has any recipes that I could use to make them. I want to take the skins off (so they’re healthier) & I would love to find some recipes for baking them (maybe some BBQ baked chicken).

Anyway, if anyone has a recipe or idea, I’d really love it! And be specific about the instructions. Like I said, I’ve never cooked legs before.

Thanks so much guys!

wilbe95

rtebalt, you can use chicken legs in anything that calls for pieces of chicken. Soups, casseroles etc. I like to take the skin off of mine then toss them in a pot to cook-the broth is great to save for later useage.

The meat will just fall off of the legs and you can put in a casserole. One my family likes the best is a cheesy chicken rice bake-I make rice, add hte chicken chunks, put in some kind of a creamed soup and add cheese to flavor. Bake in the oven at 350 for about a half hour.

HTH

jaime

I have a recipe for “Unfried” chicken that may work. Remove skin from all chicken pieces. Place chicken in a resealable bag.

Pour enough reduced fat ranch dressing in bag to coat. Seal and put bag in frig. for 30 minutes to marinate.

Remove chicken and coat with seasoned or unseasoned breadcrumbs and place on baking sheet in oven at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes. You may want to turn them from time to time. Hope that helps.
      Jaime 🙂

JoAnn

Tips:
      Marinating or brining? Always let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator, even for a short soak of 30 minutes.
      Do not baste the cooked chicken with the same marinade — either make extra marinade and set aside a portion for basting only, or boil it for two to three minutes to kill any bacteria that might be present.

Crock Pot Chicken

cook time 3 Hrs
      ready in 3 Hrs 5 Min

INGREDIENTS
      6 chicken drumsticks & thighs (cut the leg & thigh apart) You can also remove the skin if you like.(save these in freezer for future broth)
      1 (5 ounce) bottle hot red pepper sauce
      1/4 cup butter, cubed
      1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/2 teaspoon onion powder
      1 & 1/2 cups blue cheese salad dressing
      salt and pepper lighty

DIRECTIONS
      Place the drumsticks & thighs in a slow cooker, and sprinkle evenly with pieces of butter.

Pour the hot sauce over the chicken, then season with garlic powder, onion powder and the salt and pepper. Cover, and cook on High for 3 hours, or until tender. Serve chicken legs with blue cheese dressing on the side.

JoAnn

I was digging deeper into my recipe box and found this recipe, too. When I’m cooking I usually only use the recipe for back-up. In case I need it or dh needs one.

dh is starting to cook more. so i had to dust these recipes off a bit, last year. can’t tell him a dash of this, a pinch of that, then maybe a half bottle of that.

lolll enjoy…

bbq chicken

ingredients
      2 tablespoons vegetable oil
      1 onion, finely chopped
      2 cloves crushed garlic
      3/4 cup ketchup
      2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
      2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
      2 tablespoons brown sugar
      1/2 cup water
      salt and pepper to taste
      10 chicken legs

DIRECTIONS
      Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion is tender. Then add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and water.

Mix together well and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside, covered, and let cool.
      Place chicken in a shallow dish ( after washing the chicken ) and pour sauce over chicken, save some sauce in a separate container for basting.

Cover chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour, or overnight. Cover saved sauce, if any, and keep in the refrig.
      Preheat an outdoor grill for medium high heat and lightly oil grate.
      Grill chicken over medium high heat for 8 to 12 minutes per side, basting occasionally with the sauce, if any, until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees…

HSLINKS

legs & thighs will have more flavor than breasts, that’s cause of the dark meat vs white, slightly more calories but not enough to hassle or worry about .. I usually use thighs because its easier to debone (lazy), but legs would be the same taste

legs have a skinny extra bone that runs along the main bone .. other than that its the same as any other piece of chicken

if you preboil it in water (season the water & add in onions, carrots etc) you will have the beginnings of some stock or soup base for later use .. you can run the stock through the blender to puree the onions & carrots etc then add more when you make new soup .. you can either cook the chicken with spices, bbq, etc or debone it and use it that way

what kind of recipes or foods do you like? ethnic, hot-spicy, soups or crockpots

mustard chicken – roll in dark mustard then in bread crumbs bake .. it’ll have a crust and doesn’t taste mustardy

chicken salad – i love dark meat chicken salad the flavor is so much better than white meat

chicken potpie – if you made stock cook it down, add new veggies (time depends o if you like them mushy or crisper) .. add in some flour for thickening, toss in the cut up meat towards the end *** it needs to be like gravy not super liquidy .. pie shell

chicken shepards pie –
      see above, do not add potatoes in gravy.. (**i boil my potatoes with the chicken, just cut big so its an easy pull) .. make up mashed potatoes with garlic, green onions (use the tops from onions or chives if you don’t have them) ..

if you put in individual ramakins it looks nicer .. for fancy fill an icing cone with mashed potato, star point to decorate the top of chicken .. paprika, parsley for decoration ..

i always use the chicken stock for my mashed potatoes too

ria

mdowdy

My bbq chicken is quite easy. Just remove skin if you want pour bbq sauce over them, I usually cover them so it all dont sink in and cook 350 for about an hour depending on how big they are.

we dip ours in ranch dressing.

rtebalt

Oh thanks so much you guys! I can’t wait to try ALL these recipes!!! (I’m gonna have to buy more legs!) Keep the recipes coming!

I love it!!! 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Need Help!!! – Chicken Legs