Homemade Yogurt

I'm REALLY having to tighten our budget belts...so that equals making more items at home that I usually purchase. I've been researching myo yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, and buttermilk. These is at least a million and one recipe for these...How do YOU make these products? Tried and

ISO, yogurt, starter, milk, http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_encoding=utf8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=yogourmet%20freeze-dried%20yogurt%20starter&linkcode=ur2&tag=budget101com-20&url=search-alias%3daps, good, jars, degrees, maker, homemade, place, making, cooler, plain, freeze-dried, firm, yogourmet, point, bowl, cooled, store, make, start, room, sterilized, quart, left, temperature, filled, thoughts, flavorings, wonderful, counter, night, morning, made, batch, save, longer, unflavored, gelatin, added, money, search, give, manual, online, yogourmets, instruction, adding

Thread: Homemade Yogurt

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Homemade Yogurt

I'm REALLY having to tighten our budget belts...so that equals making more items at home that I usually purchase.
    I've been researching myo yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, and buttermilk. These is at least a million and one recipe for these...How do YOU make these products? Tried and true???

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Homemade Yogurt

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPaws View Post
    I'm REALLY having to tighten our budget belts...so that equals making more items at home that I usually purchase.
    I've been researching myo yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, and buttermilk. These is at least a million and one recipe for these...How do YOU make these products? Tried and true???
    I have made greek yogurt before, but it was with a yogurt maker. I have seen a few people do the same recipe using a crock pot with great results. My mom used to make cottage cheese, ill ask her about the recipe, but I remembered it took a few days and kinda made the kitchen smell a bit. good luck

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Homemade Yogurt

Here is my tried and true method for making homemade yogurt, no special equipment needed. I used store bought milk (skim, 1%, 2% or whole, which ever you prefer).

I heat 2 quarts of milk just to the boiling point and then allow it to cool to about 115 degrees. Pour one 10 gram packet of yogurt starter in a bowl and add about 1/2 cup of the milk that is at 115 degrees. I buy the yogurt starter at my local health food store. I have always used Yogourmet freeze-dried yogurt starter. It's kind of expensive (about $5 for 6 packets). You can also substitute one cup of plain yogurt with active cultures for the dried yogurt starter. I would use my own homemade yogurt in place of the yogurt starter when I had it available. I have also tried purchasing store-bought plain yogurt to use in the place of the yogurt starter, but it didn't create as firm a yogurt as using the freeze-dried starter. Once the starter is dissolved, poor the bowl of starter/milk mixture into the rest of the milk that is still at about 115 degrees.

I have used several methods to make the yogurt. At one point, I had a Yogourmet yogurt maker. Though it was very easy with the Yogurt maker, I hated the space it took up in my kitchen. When I discovered that I could make yogurt in canning jars and a cooler, I got rid of the yogurt maker. Though I didn't do it, it is probably a good idea to start with sterilized jars that have cooled to room temperature. I just filled quart jars with the yogurt, put them in a cooler, and left them on my counter over night. In the morning, I had wonderful yogurt.

Some other thoughts: Don't put flavorings in your yogurt until after the yogurt has set and you have thoroughly cooled it. I never had good results with flavoring my yogurt, but I would be interested in hearing from other who have. I used the yogurt mainly for making smoothies and frozen yogurt. Also, the lower the fat in the milk you are using, the less firm the finished yogurt will be. I counteracted this problem by adding unflavored gelatin that I added with the yogurt starter. Also, once you have made your first batch of yogurt, you can use a cup of your own plain yogurt in place of the yogurt starter to save money. Search online for Yogourmet's instruction manual. It will give you a good run down on making the yogurt. The only change would be using jars and a cooler, and it may take longer to set. Good luck!