Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cheap Cell Phone Plans, What's the best?

Cell phones plans have a tendency to get more and more expensive for those with contracts. Recently we've discovered "Straight Talk" which is a plan that allows for unlimited phone calls, texting and Unlimited Data for $45 per month.

We picked on up to give it a try and see how it works compared with our current cell phone plan (which is Verizon).

What plans do you have for your family? Do you have your kids on the plan? Right now only one of our children has a cell phone, but it won't be long before the other will need one as well.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plans, What's the best?

Hubby and myself have AT&T. Daughter has nothing right this second, but she was on Page Plus. I'm in the process of trying to buy her another phone and get different service. ((Read CHEAPER service.))
    We're looking at WalMart's Straight Talk also.
    The problem I have right now, is the price of the phones and the starter thing.
    Service prices, I'm definitely on board with.
    With each line you add, it's knocks another $5 off...When I can afford to, I'm going to change ALL of our phones to this AND switch out our home phone service. ((Gotta buy this black box thing that's $100-one time thing)). The monthly rates are UNbelievable!! MUCH more affordable than what we've got now!!!!

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPaws View Post
    Hubby and myself have AT&T. Daughter has nothing right this second, but she was on Page Plus. I'm in the process of trying to buy her another phone and get different service. ((Read CHEAPER service.))
    We're looking at WalMart's Straight Talk also. !
    We bought a straight talk phone (samsung) just for testing to see how well it would work. The data plan is unlimited, but the connection is frequently "iffy" it comes and goes and takes a long time to load. About twice as long as my regular contract phone.

We gave our oldest a basic phone when he got his license, but it only adds $10 per month to our bill, which is well worth the piece of mind that he won't be stuck on the side of the road somewhere.

I'm still undecided on the straight talk, our contract runs out shortly with Verizon (which is the coverage available in our particular area- we've literally tried them all!), but it seems at this point that it will be our best bet for the kids and hubby. I use my phone for work and need reliable data access, so I'm not quite ready to cut the cord yet with Verizon.

Still testing though! I like that you can add international minutes (unlimited for an additional $15- which means if we go on vacation or go on a cruise, etc, we'd have working phones the entire time without paying hundreds of dollars in fees/ roaming charges.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had bad experiences with Straight Talk. It gets kind of complicated but from what I discovered, it is contracted service of Verizon but yet when you call about a problem you are attempting to talk with someone from another country. I actually had one rep hang up on me because he could not understand my English! I sure couldn't understand his. Anyhow back on discussion, I have service through Sprint first two phones are each after that they are a month. We do get a county/state employee discount which is 10% off. We ended up saving a tremendous amount because the phones were free through Sprint and we pay an additional a month for insurance and get free replacements--boys have been through about six different phones in the course of two years for one reason or another of them being careless and breaking their phones. With Straight Talk, do not wait until the last minute to purchase the renewal month or they will disconnect you and then you have to call them and be on the phone for about an hour while they reprogram it. We do not have a landline anymore and I need to know that if for whatever reason my phone isn't working that I can walk into a local place and walk out in a short time with a working phone.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wilbe95 View Post
    I have had bad experiences with Straight Talk. It gets kind of complicated but from what I discovered, it is contracted service of Verizon but yet when you call about a problem you are attempting to talk with someone from another country. I actually had one rep hang up on me because he could not understand my English! I sure couldn't understand his. Anyhow back on discussion, I have service through Sprint first two phones are $69 each after that they are $20 a month. We do get a county/state employee discount which is 10% off. We ended up saving a tremendous amount because the phones were free through Sprint and we pay an additional $7 a month for insurance and get free replacements--boys have been through about six different phones in the course of two years for one reason or another of them being careless and breaking their phones. With Straight Talk, do not wait until the last minute to purchase the renewal month or they will disconnect you and then you have to call them and be on the phone for about an hour while they reprogram it. We do not have a landline anymore and I need to know that if for whatever reason my phone isn't working that I can walk into a local place and walk out in a short time with a working phone.
    Not sure if the actual carriers are regional, but the Walmart plans are powered by T Mobile here.
    After the experiment Liss has conducted, kinda on the fence now...

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

We used Tracfone for years and now on StraightTalk. I love both of them for the price and the service. We were on Verizon for our "mandated" two years and my husband was convinced that Tracfone/StraightTalk was much better. You can save money on your phones by buying used TMobile or ATT phones and then purchasing the SIM card for 15. But for Verizon coverage, you will need to buy their phone or used an unlocked phone.