Thread: September 22-28

Raleigh, North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default September 22-28

I don't have diabetes, but I know many friends and family members that do. In addition to trying to save money, I try to eat healthy. Even if you don't have diabetes, you can eat these meals, save money, and follow a healthy lifestyle. One of my colleagues has a daughter that was just diagnosed with juvenile diabetes;-\ In an effort to support her, I turned her on to this site that is so full of great information and decided to prove to her that we can eat well on a special diet and save money;-D
    Sunday -- Apple-Glazed Cornish Hens, whole wheat rotini, and buttered green beans: $9
    Monday -- Costa Rican Wrap with salsa: $2.50
    Tuesday -- Banana-Nut Wrap with salad: $1.77
    Wednesday -- Feta and Spinach Pie: $4
    Thursday -- Chocolate-Banana Smoothie with cantaloupe slices...this is a 'dessert' for dinner recipe and a nice treat;-D: $4
    Friday -- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie with raspberries...another dessert for dinner recipe: $3
    Saturday -- Strawberry-Banana Salad $2.99
    I incorporated lots of fruit in this menu because so many 'new' diabetics believe that they can't have sweet stuff, but they can. Natural sugars are good for a diabetic lifestyle. Processed sugars are the enemy! Granted, I only included a single 'meat' meal in this menu, but I wanted to focus on the many safe sugar options and commit to them for friends and family. Total expenditure for dinners this week -- $27.66. Total expenditure for breakfast and lunch (using ingredients purchased this week and leftovers from last week or from the freezer): $9.22. So the grocery bill came to $36.88;-D

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mos For This Useful Post: