Smart Budgeter
    Portland, Oregon area

Default Vanilla Beans vs Vanilla Bean paste vs vanilla powder

I look at Vanilla Beans in the store and that's about it. I've never heard of the paste or the powder.

I did notice per another comment that you can buy the beans in bulk for about $1.00 each if you buy a 'case' of 25; which seems pricey, but considered they are about $3 each; its a big savings.

In the recipes that call for the bean, can paste or powder be substituted? Also, can vanilla extract be added in the wet ingredients portion of the mix instead?

Deal GURU

Default Re: Vanilla Beans vs Vanilla Bean paste vs vanilla powder

Yes. Basically, Pure Vanilla Extract is the bean infused in alcohol; Pure Vanilla Paste is the bean scraped down added to extract with sweetener added (has the consistency of syrup rather than a paste ; and Pure Vanilla Powder is the dried bean ground. Paste can be used 1 to 1 for extract; Powder 1/4 teaspoon = 1 teaspoon Extract; and 1 Vanilla Bean = 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract. It depends on what you are making as to when the extract is added. If the wet ingredients are not being cooked, (like in a cake mix) the vanilla extract is added with the wet ingredients and mixed before baking. If however, the wet ingredients are being cooked (like for pudding) the extract is added once you have removed the pan from the heat and mixed in. Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia