Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default need some help canning pears

My dad just called. His neighbor wanted to know if I wanted the pears from his tree. so I said yes. BUT that is one thing I have never canned. Does anyone have a recipe?

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: need some help canning pears

For canning you want firm, ripe fruit! Pears, as most fruits, are a high acid food. High acid means you can use a hot water bath when canning.

To can pears, I use a light syrup. Add 5 1/4 cups of water to a pot and then add 2 1/4 cups of sugar. Stir and heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. When it just starts to come to a simmer, the syrup is ready for the pears. Add the washed and peeled, cored and quartered (you could also use halves, but more fit in the jar if they are quartered) pears to the simmering syrup. Stir them gently with a spoon. Cook them for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. What you want is for the pears to be hot throughout, but not necessarily cooked through. Immediately fill hot jars with the pears, adding enough syrup to cover, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a hot water bath for 25 minutes. Makes 7 quarts. Enjoy!

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Virginia thanks!!! wow canning pears sounds pretty easy. I will let you know how it goes. I started canning a couple of years ago (first with salsa) and quickly got hooked. I am slowly learning to can more and more. I know it takes a lot of work but there is something so exciting about seeing a shelf full of canning you did yourself. Our garden didn't do well this year so I didn't have any salsa to can. The only thing I have managed to put up this year is figs and pepper jelly. ok I have started to ramble on. thank you thank you..

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can also make Spiced Pear Cardamom Butter, it's great on biscuits, toast, waffles, etc. I made this a week ago and it's so yummy we eat it with a spoon.

6 pounds pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1. Place the pears, lemon juice, sugar, salt, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves in a large, heavy pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
    2. Lower the heat and continue to stir. The pears will begin to break down after about 10 minutes, but you can help this process along by mashing with a potato masher or a wooden spoon.
    3. After about an hour, remove the pot from the heat and blend the pear mixture in the pot with an immersion blender or transfer in batches to a standing blender or food processor.
    4. Blend until the mixture reaches the desired consistency. Return to the pot, if necessary, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes longer, or until the butter mounds on a chilled spoon. Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
    5. Check for air bubbles, wipe the rims, and seal. Process for 10 minutes, adjusting for elevation.

source: Canning Recipe: Spiced Pear Cardamom Butter: Organic Gardening
    Rolling with the Punches, folks, nothing to see here...

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the recipes. Canning went great. The one problem was that I had no no idea how much 10 GALLONS of pears was. Wow I had pears all over. I finally gave up and shared the extras. Thanks again