How do you clean a cast iron pot?

How do you clean a cast iron pot?

After you use a cast iron pot how do you clean it? I have ruined too many of them that I have quit using them. Soap/no soap.. if no soap then how to get rid of the grease and the "yuck" . My pots start having a funky taste after a while or they rust.. any help will be greatly appreciated.

soap, clean, cast, iron, funky, taste, pots, start, greatly, appreciated, yuck, rust, quit, ruined, soap/no, grease

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do you clean a cast iron pot?

After you use a cast iron pot how do you clean it? I have ruined too many of them that I have quit using them. Soap/no soap.. if no soap then how to get rid of the grease and the "yuck" . My pots start having a funky taste after a while or they rust.. any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to svidal For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do you clean a cast iron pot?

Hi svidal, you never, ever "wash" cast iron with soaps. Detergents/soaps contain sulfides and bind to the oils in the skillet and strip them. Meaning if you use soap, you'll have to reseason your skillet/pot Every single time or it will rust.

Here's the easiest way to clean it:

1. Fill the pot with water to the line that you can still see stuck on food,
    2. bring it to a boil and gently boil 2 minutes.
    3. carefully carry the pot to the sink with the boiling water
    4. Using a wide spatula, scrap the sides of the pot to remove and remaining food scraps.
    5. dump the boiling water in the sink
    6. return the pot to the burner (with the burner off)
    7. wet a couple papertowels and wipe the surface of the pot, your paper towel will contain a dark layer of residue.
    8. Apply a thin coating of fat- shortening or vegetable oil, to give the pan back it's smooth, glossy finish- don't use an animal product- like lard- it will go rancid.
    9. Store it in a cool, dry place without a lid on it. Leaving the lid on causes moisture to accumulate, which is what causes your rust. If you're worried about dust, cover it with a paper towel

If you have rust you can cut a raw potato in half, dip the cut side in baking soda and scrub your skillet/pot. Rinse the pan well and re-season it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaconEater For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Baconeater. DH just bought 2 skillets for ribeyes and I didn't want to ruin these also.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I rinse my cast iron pots and pans with hot water and then scrub them with salt to get all the food particle off. Rinse again with hot water, dry and store.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was taught to first season by wiping with shortening and placing in the oven until it started to smoke. Then just wash with water and wipe again with shortening after each use. Also if there is a big build up of grease on the outside of the pan then you can burn it off in an open fire then re season in the oven again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lindy1961 For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've had my cast iron pots for over twenty five years and they just keep getting better with age. I wash my pots and pans in the same soapy water that I use for all my other dishes. After I dry the cast iron, I let it sit on the stove top for about a half hour to let the air evaporate any residual moisture, then I rub it with a bit of veg oil. I think the most important thing with cast iron is to use it OFTEN and hang it up when not in use. Don't leave it languishing in the cupboard or under the stove. Make it your "go-to" pot or frypan. The more you use it, the better it becomes. Mine is as good as a non-stick pan. My sister got mum's cast iron frypan when mum passed away and it's over 60 years old. The most frugal practice is to buy something that will last longer than you will.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Memory For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use hot tap water (set to 145 degrees) and a scrub brush made for pots and pans. I run the water into the pan while scrubbing it until the surface is clean (I usually have several pans to do so I set it aside until I have scrubbed them all) then take a paper towel folded into about a 1.5" square and wipe the water out then spray a little canola oil (not cooking spray) into each pan, refold the last fold the other way and spread the oil around the pan removing excess and put them away. Any lids I use I treat the same way. I have been doing this for nearly 40 years with pans that were made in the 1800s through the mid 1950s and they are better nonstick than any teflon I have ever seen.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snake0311 For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just found a used cast iron fry pan, I washed it well with soap & water,even used a scrubber on it to get off cooked on yucky stuff. Then let it dry for about an hour. I then used some canola oil on paper towel and wiped the pan. let it sit for a bit. Then cooked eggs in it, they came out fine. Washed it again and re-oiled it. It's ready for the next use!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast