DIY Slate (or textured) Walkway

DIY Slate (or textured) Walkway

How to make your own textured walkway with a faux stone or slate finish- save hundreds of dollars and do it yourself Read More: Article: DIY Slate (or textured) Walkway

walkway, textured, slate, article, dollars, http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=4212-diy-slate-walkway, hundreds, read, faux, make, finish-, stone, save

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: DIY Slate (or textured) Walkway

How to make your own textured walkway with a faux stone or slate finish- save hundreds of dollars and do it yourself

Read More: Article: DIY Slate (or textured) Walkway
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have an existing walk at my door. I would like to make it larger. Do I have to remove the existing one or is there a way to incorporate into the new one. Thanks

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love this idea! Is the concrete hard to mix? Would we need a barrel or something to mix it in?

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's really pretty! Does the sealer give it the shiny finish or was it wet when you took the photo? I didn't realize it was that easy to make a walkway!

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY Slate (or textured) Walkway

Quote Originally Posted by Elaina View Post
    I love this idea! Is the concrete hard to mix? Would we need a barrel or something to mix it in?
    You can mix it in a regular wheelbarrow with a shovel to "stir" and then just tip the barrel to dump it into your form. It's not "easy" work, but it's not overly difficult either.

On the shiny question- we did use a sealer after it set a few weeks, but it's shiny like that due to the sprinkler system watering the lawn.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

WOW this is absolutely beautiful Liss! Thank you! I'm going to get my husband to help me do this off our back porch.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joyfull2 View Post
    I have an existing walk at my door. I would like to make it larger. Do I have to remove the existing one or is there a way to incorporate into the new one. Thanks
    for making an existing one larger, if you mean to make a walkway area into like a patio, i would say no, if it is to extend it to a side walk then yes, you need to place a backing or buffer piece between the existing and the new. like when they repair a side walk, there is a brown material they use around here, old concrete and new concrete wont bond together. also make sure you have enough to do the job all at once, if you have to run to the store for more, it may not bond as well. i also think it has something to do with settling, the old section has had time to fully settle, and the new will take time, even with all the packing you do.

if you are doing a big section, think of a sidewalk, and it has the grooves every so often, that is so that if one section cracks, it doesnt take out the whole sidewalk and they can repair one section. consider adding them to you drive way as well. also use the wire to reinforce it, cars are a lot heavier than people, and the sakrete probably wont be able to hold nearly as much weight as regular concrete. you may want to buy actual concrete for that project.

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joyfull2 View Post
    If the existing walk is untreated concrete (unsealed) than yes, you can. You'll have to wash the existing walk with Muriatic Acid (available at lowes or Home depot) first. Spray it on liberally, covering the entire walk, leave it for a little bit and then scrub it off/ pressure wash it off. Be aware that it will likely kill any plants or flowers you have directly beside the walk if you get it on them. That's how we did our back patio deck that had an existing 3 foot patio, we extended it to 12 feet. It works fine.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast