Best Dirt Cheap Meal Idea

Share your best dirt cheap meal ideas- breakfast, lunch, dinner - doesn't matter, just has to be cheap, filling and tasty! 2 random winners will receive a Super Laundry Sauce kit- which contains a box of borax, a box of washing soda and 3 bars of fels naptha as well as printed directions for our

dirt cheap meal ideas, dirt cheap recipes, frugal meals, cheap, dirt, meal, super, laundry, sauce, share, printed, fels, bars, directions, naptha, original, time, hurry, ideas, favorite, soda, recipe, challenge, kit-, matter, dinner, idea, ideas-, breakfast, lunch, receive, borax, winners, filling, tasty, random, washing

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best Dirt Cheap Meal Idea

Share your best dirt cheap meal ideas- breakfast, lunch, dinner - doesn't matter, just has to be cheap, filling and tasty! 2 random winners will receive a Super Laundry Sauce kit- which contains a box of borax, a box of washing soda and 3 bars of fels naptha as well as printed directions for our Original Super Laundry Sauce recipe!

This challenge can end at any time, so Hurry! Share your favorite dirt cheap meal ideas!!

B101 Challenge Update Notification  Although this thread is open for discussion, this Challenge has ended and the lucky recipient was announced in the thread at the close. 

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: B101 Challenge: Best Dirt Cheap Meal Idea

One of our most frugal meals would have to be baked bbq chicken.
    I buy chicken quarters for no more than .39 - .59 per pound in a 10 lb bag.
    I freeze half, then cook the other half with 2 bottles bbq sauce that's bought on sale,((No more than .60 each)), and s and p.
    Can use the oven or Crock Pot...whatever works best for you.
    We always have left overs, so the next day, I'll usually have bbq sandwiches or freeze the meat for another day.
    So, for less than $5, you have at least 2 meals...and still have the remaining frozen raw chicken.

Another fantastic frugal meal...beans and cornbread!!
    I always save the bone or hock from ham.
    When ready to have your beans, soak, rinse, and cook them with the bone. Can add onions, (like I do), then season.
    Make your cornbread and voila-you have dinner!
    Super cheap but so tasty!

During some extra lean times, we've had scrambled egg sandwiches for dinner...comfort food at it's best and SUPER cheap!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steel Cut Oatmeal is my favorite breakfast food. At $3.29 for a 30 oz. container ($0.11 per ounce) for the Nature's Promise organic variety. You get roughly 4 to 5 servings per 1 cup of dry oatmeal; that's 8 oz. at $0.11, so one meal is roughly $0.88 (if my math is correct).

Now the way I do it makes morning life even easier! I use my mini slow cooker, add all ingredients, any household seasonings that you have around (cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, etc.), set it at night on low for 8 hours. When you wake up you will have perfectly cooked and piping hot steel-cut oatmeal waiting for you in the morning. Since it's the heartier kind and very filling I can eat that alone until it is snack time. If you are a single girl like myself you can separate the other servings in tupperware, leave one in the fridge and the others in the freezer, the night before take out your freezer stash and defrost to reheat the next morning. That's $0.88 for a work weeks worth of breakfast.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

1 package of ramen noodles cooked to make very soupy, add any left over meat you may have from previous meals(cut into small pieces), you can either add leftover vegies from previous meals or a can of mixed vegies. Add the seasoning packet too.
    Serve with bread or crackers & apple slices.

I have been known to add 1 chopped up hotdog to ours on occasion, left over meat from taco's, or just a small section of roast left? Cut it up & add it. I also would save the left over vegies even if it was just a small spoonful or less & put them in the freezer til I had enough.

This was a mainstay in our diet after my husband & I were in a car accident & had extremely limited funds to buy groceries with to feed us & our oldest son(only one we had at the time). I still continue to fix this periodically to help strech the budget or to give us a quick filling meal.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lazy gal here, I love Picante Chicken ramen noodles, I drain 1/2 of the water off after the noodles are cooked. Then I add the seasoning packet and a large dollop of sour cream and a slice of american cheese. Super cheap and YUMALICIOUS!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eggs. We love toad in a hole, scrambled and wrapped in a homemade tortilla, egg salad, and hard boiled. Cheap protein.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

one of my daughter's favorites is ramen noodles, made souppy($.15) a can of tuna drained($.50) and some saltines. Pair it with an apple or banana and you have a yummy, and cheap meal!

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

What we will be having this evening: Fish in a packet I usually use Tilapia, but any type of fish will work. On a sheet of foil or parchment paper layer some cooked brown rice, fish and veggies (zucchini and yellow squash will be used tonight). Add salt and pepper. Fold into a packet. Bake for about 20 minutes at 450 degrees until fish is done and flakes easily with a fork and veggies are cooked (a fork goes in easily). Enjoy! Thanks; Virginia

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast