Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Burnt Stainless pot

OK normally I have this stainless pot (favorite), I was cooking rice and forgot about it, well you know what happened. I soaked the pot, got most of the mess out of it. My question is How do I get the rest of the burnt marks off the bottom of the pan. I do not have any oven cleaner.

I read something some time back about using a dryer sheet, but cannot remember the details. I am 46 and have never burnt a pan (I should know how to do this ).

Help
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Burnt Stainless pot

Here are a couple of things you can try:

Fill pan with water, covering any marks, bring to a boil (make sure it is really boiling) add a few tablespoonfuls of salt. Turn off the heat and let the pan sit for a few hours. Dump out the water and scrub the pan with a scouring pad.

Cover the bottom of the pan with vinegar, fill pan with water, bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and proceed as if you were using salt.

Rub the marks with a slice of Lime (Lemon would work, also) let sit 10 minutes or so, sprinkle with salt and use a scouring pad or magic eraser to scrub the pan.

Use a mildly abrasive cleaner / scouring powder (like bar keepers friend) to make a paste (sprinkle some on the pan add a small amount of water) and scrub with a wet sponge. Note: a recipe for scouring powder is 2 parts baking soda, 1 part salt and 1 part Borax powder.

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, the pot had been boiled & soaking for a week and I could not get it clean. BUT I added the salt, boiled & leti it for 1/2 hour and it looks brand new
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to hear that it worked. Thanks; Virginia

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

my mom had a pan similar to this so she gave it to me and I used it to melt my soap for laundry detergent. I like the liquid kind. the pan sparkles more than a new pan.

I was going to suggest boil water and soap or water and baking soda.

I bet you wont forget your rice again, will you?

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jkpjohnson View Post
    OK normally I have this stainless pot (favorite), I was cooking rice and forgot about it, well you know what happened. I soaked the pot, got most of the mess out of it. My question is How do I get the rest of the burnt marks off the bottom of the pan. I do not have any oven cleaner.

I read something some time back about using a dryer sheet, but cannot remember the details. I am 46 and have never burnt a pan (I should know how to do this ).

Help
    Sorry I didn't respond to this one sooner, but I've tried the dryer sheet trick and quite frankly, I wasn't overly impressed with it. I still ended up scrubbing the heck out of the bottom of the pan. I did bring some vinegar and a squirt of dawn to a simmer in the pan that had burnt on food (in my case MILK!!), and it worked fairly well.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I too have tried the old dryer sheet in the pot trick and I didn't have much luck with it. Perhaps we ought to be sharing what BRAND dryer sheets we tried? Maybe that will make the difference. I used Great Value brand. I don't know if the ingredients in each one are that much different though. What brand did you try?
    ~Shirl

Give a gift of joy...
    Give a Gift in a Jar!

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have never used a dryer sheet for something like this. it grosses me out. the chemicals stay in your dryer and on your clothes and they cant be easily removed. in my mind, it would stick to the pan and then you will be eating it the next time you use the pan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast