Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hannahs1mommy

Default Hampster bedding??

my daughter has a hampster. stinky little devil it is!! i have been

buying the recycled type of bedding for his cage. he has 2 cages

connected together. one small one and one med. size one. i only use

the bedding in the med size one. (food and toys go in the small one)

so here is my question. is there something that i can use other than

buying bedding. ie. i shred papers, could i use them. also, after

about 5 days, he (his cage) starts stinking again. is there something

i need to add or take away from his diet that would help. i feed him

the boxed store bought hampster food. or is there a secret someone

would be willing to let me in on that i could add to his cage to

counter act the smell. it seems he uses the bathroom where there is no

bedding to absorb the liquid.

just need some advice on the stinky little critter. he is way too cute

to get rid of and my daughter loves him.

thanks

Katherine Lassiter

Re:Hampster bedding??

I do not think you should be surprised or upset that 5 days of peeing and pooping results in a smelly cage! I have had much experience having spent many years with all types of pets and this is just what they do. If you peed in the corner of your house for 5 days, it would also smell. Even my bird cage needs cleaning out at least once a week! I have never had a gerbil, but hamsters and guinea pigs pee a lot. I used to buy the huge bags of cedar shaving made for kennel bedding at Walmart or the farm supply store. A big bag would last me at least three months and I'd clean the cage out twice a week. Your local library or pet store has books on the care and feeding of hamsters. I would never restrict their food or water because it made them pee to much. They are at your mercy and I know you want to take good care of them.

Kath

lisa griffeth

Re: Budget101.com : Hampster bedding??

I always used cedar shavings with my hamster...no smell issue at all...unless you don't care for the way cedar smells.
    Lisa G.

Tonya Hervonen

I use my paper shredder to shred junk mail and newspaper to use in my ferret cage. I usually mix it with the recycled bedding just because i dont have enough junk mail to fill it. but it works well

Love & Hugs

Tonya

Chrissey

We've had hamsters in our home for years. I just love them!

If the cage is smelling like that, it's not clean (which is dangerous to the animal). Take the whole cage apart and wash it with hot, soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Then, put in the litter on the bottom of the cage. We use the huge bags of bedding from PetsMart - the aspen wood chips. Make sure you never use cedar or any wood with an oil. It will kill the hamster. Aspen is safe. One big bag of the aspen shavings costs us $12 but it lasts for about 8 months and we do a complete cage clean once a week. And, I should note that our hamster lives in a 140 gallon aquarium - not a small cage. So, that $12 bag would probably last you a couple years.

You can also put a small container of sand in their home. They seem to like that. You may even want to divide the home into sections and place various things in there to see what your hamster prefers.

With regular maintenance and care, your hamster cage will not smell. And, your pet will live a longer, healthier life!

Chrissey

Sandy Coulter

Re: Budget101.com : Hampster bedding??

OH great idea. i didn't think about that. i like the smell of cedar.

thank you

Sandy Coulter

Re: Budget101.com : Re:Hampster bedding??

no i don't mind the cleaning of the cage every 5 to 7 days. and i def. dont under feed the little critter. just didnt know if i could add to his diet to help. i am liking the cedar bedding though. i may def try that

thanks so much

Chrissey

Re: Budget101.com : Re:Hampster bedding??

Don't use cedar for hamsters!!!! The oils will kill them!!! Check on line or with your vet or even on the bag at the pet store. They all say NO CEDAR for hamsters or small animals!!!!

Chrissey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast