Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Back To School Money Saving Tip Challenge!

Back to school is an incredibly Financially Challenging time for lots of families, between school supplies, clothing, school registration fees, sports fees and more, families are seeking out ways to save as much money as possible!

We'd love to hear your best "Back to School Money Saving tips and ideas" !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b101-back-school-sm.jpg 
Views:	5295 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	11131
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Back To School Money Saving Tip Challenge!

Ok, I'm game to play!

• Host a Back to School swap with other moms/families- you'd be surprised at how many nearly new clothes your kids might still have in their closets. Trade toys, books, clothes and more with other families (friends of your kids)

• Buy Bright Stuff- the brighter the colors, the better. Put all their new pencils, pens, erasers, markers, etc in a brightly colored backpack - it makes it that much harder to steal
    CC,

Yeah, This is my life now!

Waiting for my ship to come in
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a Tip- cash in on your kids old clothes, especially if they're name brand. You can sell them on craigslist, ebay, local fb swap (most towns have their own "for free or cheap" swap group. You can also take your kids clothes to consigment shops which will give you some extra cash to buy new clothes (or gently used!)
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I start my back to school shopping about two months BEFORE the summer ends. Basic school supplies, along with jeans, shoes and other items can be found much cheaper. Plus, it gives me more time and this way, not only have I saved money, but a headache when we get the lists. I just go to the supply box, root through and find what we already have, and then simply buy what is leftover. I usually end up spending about 200 less per kid than most of my other mom friends.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you're down on your luck you probably qualify for Free supplies - you can get free school supplies from lots of different places:
    • Churches
    • Local Media- if you call your local news stations & talk to the assignment or education reporter they will be able to tell you school related supply events, like supply drives
    • Chamber of Commerce- most towns have a chamber of commerce and they frequently hold events and supplies drives/handouts
    • Sales Flyers- if you watch the sales there are a number of stores that offer doorbusters or .01 items like pencils, glue sticks, etc. These are basically free supplies!
    ~* B101 Sistah *~

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Military families can get discounts and free supplies from Operation Homefront:

Last year they distributed over 19,000 backpacks.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I take all the circulars and see what I need to buy and then go to Walmart and buy the things I need and they honor the competetor's ads and I save myself from running around. I know I am getting the best prices and saving gas and time. During the summer I watch yard sales for back packs or messanger bags and clean then up and pay a dollar or 2 a piece, once I clean them they are like new.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Always searching yard sales and thrift stores for great buys on school clothing for the grandchildren

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast