Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help in getting rid of Nadina Shrubs

I'd like to know if anyone could offer me some advice on how to properly remove a nandina shrub? I purchased a home back in 2008. It was in December and I couldn't tell exactly how the landscape was a total nightmare until Spring. I have about 6 nandian's randomly planted in my flower beds. They're terrible looking. My goal was to remove them and start over with a fresh set of landscape. It's not happening! I've cut them to the ground and they keep coming back.

Also, they have multiplied into many little stems in a large circle. These aren't the types of shrubs with one "trunk" or a main trunk. It appears they have 20 or more.

Any help would be appreciated. I have to dig this mess out of my yard so I can have a more presentable landscape.

Thanks so much in advance!

The Nandina's Nightmare!

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help in getting rid of Nadina Shrubs

Quote Originally Posted by SCGardenGirl View Post
    I'd like to know if anyone could offer me some advice on how to properly remove a nandina shrub? I purchased a home back in 2008. It was in December and I couldn't tell exactly how the landscape was a total nightmare until Spring. I have about 6 nandian's randomly planted in my flower beds. They're terrible looking. My goal was to remove them and start over with a fresh set of landscape. It's not happening! I've cut them to the ground and they keep coming back.
    The more you trim back a Nandina, the better it grows. I'd never heard of them until we moved here to sunny SC, but here's your best bet- seriously, post on your local "For Sale or Wanted Free in (Your City Name Here)" Group on FB. List your Nandina's for Free, but be clear that they must Dig them up in their entirety AND then Fill in the holes before they leave. Nandinas usually root in a clump with a couple long tap roots. They'll have to work at it. Last year a lady gave me several and it took me a couple HOURS to completely dig around the roots and get them out of the ground, completely worth it!

You'll be shocked at the number of people who would be Thrilled to have them and will come remove them for free. You could also list that you'd be willing to "Trade" plants/ shrubs- you might be surprised at the plants people are willing to swap for nandinas. Hydrangeas, begonias, camelias, etc.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**