Thread: Hello

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face Hello

Hi. I'm Barb, from West Michigan. Although my kids are (mostly) grown, life keeps changing. My husband and I are disabled/retired, with one son left in the nest to finish high school. Two of our girls (twins) just moved back in to save money for a new apartment. They are both third shifters who like scrambled eggs in the morning before bed, and a hot meal when they wake up no matter the temperature. My teenager likes grab and go food to eat in his room, or in the car on his way to work, Xcountry, or Track. Add to that other working,but financially struggling kids who 'drop in' and ask "Whatcha got to eat, Mom?" How the heck do I budget?? Oh, and my husband is on a sodium-restricted, easy-to-chew food diet, can't cook or serve himself because of 24/7 oxygen. We are on a fixed income, but do not qualify for food stamps. We do receive produce, dairy, and sometimes frozen meat from a local church food truck once or twice a month, as well as government 'commodities' nonperishable foods every 3 months. It can be difficult to menu plan with those donated foods. I used to be known for my ability to turn any food I was given into something delicious, but I'm not as 'able' as I used to be. I need suggestions for meals that are easy to fix and tempting to kids who would rather have hamburger helper, burritos or deep-fried chicken (all too high-sodium). And ways to use/store/preserve things like the 20# of (older) potatoes I get all at once or 6 quarts of soon-to-expire yogurt. I'm not complaining about the bounty!! Just looking for more ideas to make use of what can be overwhelming these days.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hello

Hello and Welcome to Budget 101, BarbS! Good to have you here. Lots of ideas, information and recipes on this site to help you. Have a look around and see what is there. Any questions just ask. Enjoy! Thanks; Virginia