Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    M F

Default Need advice on the PSP and myspace

I have a 16 yr old who is limited on the internet. He needs a password to get on to the computer. At times when he insists on going on the internet and I won't let him, he goes off to his room or in the tub. At that time I can't seem to find his PSP. I am wondering if he is able to use it to get on myspace/internet. We have wireless internet service. He is overall a good kid. I know his whereabouts, no substence abuse, is in sports and is now working, does well in school, etc. And then there is that BUT. His sister who is now 20 tells me every now and then that if I had not kept a close eye on her, she doesn't know where she would be today.

Also is myspace safer these days. He has it set up that only those he allows to be
    his friends can go on. I would like to be able to go on and check it every now and then, but I don't want him to know that I'm doing it. The reason is a friend of mine knows someone who's son had a secret relationship with a gay adult for 2 years and the father (an attorney) and mom (a nurse) didn't have a clue. We have all heard stories about internet and I don't want to be sorry later. I would like to be able to trust my kids at all times, but to me that is not a good choice. Please don't tell me that I should because it is not going to happen here, I have tried it. How can I go on his myspace and check it. I have access to his e mails, but they don't use that much these days. Also if he finds out that I'm checking his myspace he can open another myspace account.

Your input is appreciated,
    Melissa

Thomas & Tracy Harris

there is a program that you can download that will monitor their chatting, and I believe Myspace, and it's free, or at least it was.

it's called imsafer.

Thomas & Tracy Harris
    TNT Quarter Horses home of:
    TNTS Jack Be Blue - 2004 AQHA Buckskin Stallion
    TNTS Medicine Man - 2005 AQHA Perlino Stallion

[quote]
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: thecompact@yahoogroups.com ; Budget101_@yahoogroups.com ; BudgetHomemaking@yahoogroups.com ; ; bringbacksimplicity@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 1:02 AM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Need advice on the PSP and myspace

<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;">
    I have a 16 yr old who is limited on the internet. He needs a password to get on to the computer. At times when he insists on going on the internet and I won't let him, he goes off to his room or in the tub. At that time I can't seem to find his PSP. I am wondering if he is able to use it to get on myspace/internet. We have wireless internet service. He is overall a good kid. I know his whereabouts, no substence abuse, is in sports and is now working, does well in school, etc. And then there is that BUT. His sister who is now 20 tells me every now and then that if I had not kept a close eye on her, she doesn't know where she would be today.

Also is myspace safer these days. He has it set up that only those he allows to be his friends can go on. I would like to be able to go on and check it every now and then, but I don't want him to know that I'm doing it. The reason is a friend of mine knows someone who's son had a secret relationship with a gay adult for 2 years and the father (an attorney) and mom (a nurse) didn't have a clue. We have all heard stories about internet and I don't want to be sorry later. I would like to be able to trust my kids at all times, but to me that is not a good choice. Please don't tell me that I should because it is not going to happen here, I have tried it. How can I go on his myspace and check it. I have access to his e mails, but they don't use that much these days. Also if he finds out that I'm checking his myspace he can open another myspace account.

Melissa

nyislandgirl

I had the same problem but the way that I handled it, is by having my own myspace account and I asked my children to add me. At first they thought that I was too old to have an account. They helped me design it because I didn't have a clue on how to do so. They designed it really nice. Well, to make a long story short, they added me on and so did their friends because they thought it was weird that I had a myspace account. I try not to let the kids know that I'm checking on them. Unfortunately, this is the only way that I can get in touch with my nieces and nephews. Whenever I see that my children's "myspace mood" is bad, I sit down and talk with them. At times, they'll tell me whats on their mind,and at times, they won't. As long as they know that I'm here for them, they feel safe. I raised my
    children with trust and thank God so far it has worked. They've made mistakes and learned from them. All we can do is to be there for them.

--- On Mon, 8/11/08, M F <milicaf35@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Budget101.com : Need advice on the PSP and myspace
    To: thecompact@yahoogroups.com, Budget101_@yahoogroups.com, BudgetHomemaking@yahoogroups.com, , bringbacksimplicity@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Monday, August 11, 2008, 1:02 AM

<DIV id="yiv1690099792">

<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;">

Also is myspace safer these days. He has it set up that only those he allows to be his friends can go on. I would like to be able to go on and check it every now and then, but I don't want him to know that I'm doing it. The reason is a
    friend of mine knows someone who's son had a secret relationship with a gay adult for 2 years and the father (an attorney) and mom (a nurse) didn't have a clue. We have all heard stories about internet and I don't want to be sorry later. I would like to be able to trust my kids at all times, but to me that is not a good choice. Please don't tell me that I should because it is not going to happen here, I have tried it. How can I go on his myspace and check it. I have access to his e mails, but they don't use that much these days. Also if he finds out that I'm checking his myspace he can open another myspace account.

Melissa

Jacqui Caruso

I do not know much about myspace, only what my friends have told me about it. You can create your own myspace account & then you can become his "friend" and check what&#39;s on there (blog entries, people who are also his "friends", etc). Usually you can become his "friend" by entering his last name/email address. Obviously you know his last name so go that route.

I refuse to spend the $$ on PSP so my dd does not have one. If I remember correct the reason I absolutely refused to buy her one was because of articles I read online about kids going on line with them & at 11 I plain out didn&#39;t trust her curiosity to even entertain the idea of the purchase.

HTH,
    Jacqui C.a mean mom in NE Georgia

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:02 AM, M F <milicaf35@yahoo.com> wrote:

<div style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;">

I have a 16 yr old who is limited on the internet. He needs a password to get on to the computer. At times when he insists on going on the internet and I won&#39;t let him, he goes off to his room or in the tub. At that time I can&#39;t seem to find his PSP. I am wondering if he is able to use it to get on myspace/internet. We have wireless internet service. He is overall a good kid. I know his whereabouts, no substence abuse, is in sports and is now working, does well in school, etc. And then there is that BUT. His sister who is now 20 tells me every now and then that if I had not kept a close eye on her, she doesn&#39;t know where she would be today.
    [/quote]

Elizabeth Farnsworth

Yes you can go on my space with a psp, so, when he's not allowed on the

computer it'd be wise

to take the psp away during that time as well. He can also go to his friends

house and use their computers, psp etc.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3230303AApGxyJ

As to going on his my space without him knowing....you'd either have to make up

your own my space page and pretend to be someone else and

have him allow you as a friend to "see" his my space or get his password and log

in.

You can also get a program that will log all activity on the computer, ie

passwords, pages visited, what's said in instant messaging chat etc. Oh and

another thing,

you should be able to block your network so he cannot use it to get to the

"computer" via his psp. Make sure your network is secure so others cannot use it

unless you give permission.

My now 23 yr old son was very handy with the computer just like me and when he

was 16 he'd bypass my screensaver password and get on to the net to look at

things

he shouldn't have been looking at so I got even more savvy and put in a BIOS

password, because when you rebooted the computer you could get to the net before

it went to password and with a BIOS password it's more difficult....it worked

for me anyway.

Good luck! From a mom to 5 adult children, one 15yr old and G'Ma to 5 g'children

Elizabeth Farnsworth

Shaklee Independent Health/Wellness Representative

Charlotte

<font size="2" color="blue" face="Comic Sans MS">11.0pt;font-family:"Comic Sans MS";color:blue;">You can get
    onto the internet via the PSP (per my 13 yo son) using your wireless connection.
    But 1<sup>st</sup> you have to set it up via a USB cable (which he has probably
    already done). Have your DD look at his settings and make sure the
    parental controls are set up for his PSP, also <grin>
    <font size="2" color="blue" face="Comic Sans MS">11.0pt;font-family:"Comic Sans MS";color:blue;">
    <font size="2" color="blue" face="Comic Sans MS">11.0pt;font-family:"Comic Sans MS";color:blue;">LOL! My
    son’s DS stays in the car – if need be I can always lock it and
    keep the keys with me.
    <font size="2" color="blue" face="Comic Sans MS">11.0pt;font-family:"Comic Sans MS";color:blue;">Myspace is just
    as bad now as it always was.
    <font size="2" color="blue" face="Comic Sans MS">11.0pt;font-family:"Comic Sans MS";color:blue;">

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of M F

Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008
    12:02 AM

To: thecompact@yahoogroups.com; Budget101_@yahoogroups.com;
    BudgetHomemaking@yahoogroups.com; ;
    bringbacksimplicity@yahoogroups.com

Subject: Budget101.com : Need advice
    on the PSP and myspace

14.0pt;">I have a 16 yr old who is limited on the internet. He needs a
    password to get on to the computer. At times when he insists on going on
    the internet and I won't let him, he goes off to his room or in the tub.
    At that time I can't seem to find his PSP. I am wondering if he is able
    to use it to get on myspace/internet. We have wireless internet
    service.

Melissa

L

According to my husband who works with computers for a
    well-known company you can get onto the internet via wireless connection even
    with parental controls, because you can get on with someone else’s
    wireless connection. Of course, I would not be savvy enough to do this, but
    many of today’s teens are. L

arobert6@juno.com

You may want to use logging software. You can either buy it or get it online (sometimes you get a free trial). Your child will have absolutely no idea that their every move is being tracked and placed in an invisible file only you can get into and review. Or you while your child is online you can switch your settings so you can share files and use another computer and literally see everything they are seeing while on your own computer, but they would know you are there, so this is why some parents like logging software.

Kim Komando has some suggestions and an article on it at her site.

God bless, Alice
    <font face="Times-New-Roman" size="2">

__________________________________________________ __________

Click to lower your debt and consolidate your monthly expenses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast