Tracy Feuer

Default charging an adult child rent

When I lived at home my grandfather charged me $50 a week. Of course he was supporting a whole household on just his social security check. I would take into consideration wether or not this money is really needed for the household.

If I didn't need the rent money to support the house. I would require them to pay their own cell phone bill and and their own car expenses. I would require them to be putting a certain amount away each week so that when they do strike out on their own they had a nest egg. Maybe start them on the 10, 10, 80. Now. So when they are on their own they have developed the habbit.

I have an 18 year old son. He does not live with me but it trying very hard to put himself through college. He is staying with relatives near his campus. He is working three part time jobs which he walks to. He has no car or license yet. I try to send him whatever help I can. He knows we are struggling ourselves which is why he works so hard to not be a burden on the family. I probably wouldn't have handed him a college education on a silver platter even if we could have afforded it. But I wouldlove to make his life just a little bit easier. I try to send him care packages of toiletries and snacks and things. Anything that he doesn't have to buy for himself puts a little more money in his pocket.

Tracy in VA

<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP: black 1px solid;FONT-WEIGHT: bold;FONT-FAMILY: 'Segoe UI',Tahoma,san-serif;">

<TD><A style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt;COLOR: #0184cb;TEXT-DECORATION: none;" href="http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=EML_WLHM_GreaterGood" target="_blank"> EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt;COLOR: #3fb555;TEXT-DECORATION: underline;">Join me</A>

Lucy Anderson

I think it's awesome if kids realize what their parents are going through

with money and WANT to help from their hearts. I'm not going to turn down

the child who comes home with bags of groceries for us. But requiring for

family support takes all the joy of giving away, I think.

I have posted on the refrigerator each week what mom's or dad's check was

and what is was all budgeted out for. That way, when the kids pop in and

say "I want to get this, or I want to go here" I send them to the fridge and

say "Do we have enough? If we do that, then what will we have to skip?" I

only have one grown child at this point, and his dad did not encourage

financial responsibility no matter what I did, so time will have to tell on

whether these kids come out better financially than other kids without the

training.....

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Tracy Feuer <tracyfeuer@hotmail.com> wrote:

> When I lived at home my grandfather charged me $50 a week. Of course

> he was supporting a whole household on just his social security check. I

> would take into consideration wether or not this money is really *needed*for

the household.

>

dyankee1995

Hello:

When I was a teenager way back when......

I was a fool back then and decided not to continue my college

education, which was being paid for by my parents. You know what

they say about hind sight. Anyway, they told me if I was not going

to continue going to college that I needed to get a full time job and

start paying room and board. At the time they charged me $50 a

week. They didn't have cell phones back then, but I was responsible

for paying for any long distance charges that I may have made. The

$50 a week was for a room to stay in and food to eat. I had to pay

for any extras that I wanted. This was back in 1989. I was 18.

Taking into consideration the cost of living increase since then, I

would probably charge $75 per week for room and board only.

There is nothing wrong with charging an adult child who is living

with you room and board. They have to learn to be responsible at

some point. I would definitely make her pay for her own cell phone

charges as it is not a necessity.

Just my 2cents worth.

Debbie

robin machin

When I was young and just out of high school my parents wanted me to get married and out of the house. The pressure cause me to jump at the first boy ask me to marry him. Biggest mistake. End up divorce with 2 babies. I had to go to college to afford my childrens needs, so I went back to my parents and paid rent of $400.00 month. They help with children for 2 years and I better myself by becoming a nurse. But I wish I have never married, so soon . So if you want rent so bad from your child - adult try giving good advise and don't push them into marriage either. They will resent you and later hate you for it.
    Better to ask for food money or tell them to buy what they like at groceries or pay electric bill. Then they will feel like part of family not just a renter......

<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP: black 1px solid;FONT-WEIGHT: bold;">

<TD><A style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt;COLOR: #0184cb;TEXT-DECORATION: none;" href="http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=EML_WLHM_GreaterGood" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"> EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt;COLOR: #3fb555;TEXT-DECORATION: underline;">Join me</A>

CeCe Sweet

In order to get a larger amount of SSI for my son, I havve started to charge him rent. It's that or him get a smaller amount.

He knows how much things cost here so he is glad to help.CeCe

dash

<FONT face="RomanaTLig" color="#800000" size="5">I found that out the hard way, and had to increase "rent". You provide more for him than the monetary "rent" in the first place, I bet.dash
    <BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #800000 2px solid;">
    <FONT face="RomanaTLig" color="#800000" size="5">

<TABLE cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" border="0">

<TD vAlign="top">
    In order to get a larger amount of SSI for my son, I havve started to charge him rent. It's that or him get a smaller amount.

He knows how much things cost here so he is glad to help.CeCe