Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Debbie

Default Does anyone here have a child that has seizures often?

<FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">My daughter asked me to find info. My daughters son is now 3 years old. At 2 1/2 she found himhaving a seizure and called the ambulance, the drchecked him out and were not sure the causeand made an appointment for her with a neurologist. He had another seizure and again rushed to the hospital. The dr put her son on medicine then. The neurologist got him in and did tests and found he has very abnormal brain waves on all parts of his brain and said he has epilepsy. Since then he has had seizures and had to have his meds increased and then another added. He was having a seizure just once a month or longer, now he has had 3 in the past week anda half that had to have him taken to the hospital. He has mild ones in between that he just stares and doesn't respond for several minutes and he has them often in between the major ones. The neurologist told her yesterday that the amount of medicine he is on is too strong for a 3 year old child. They had to increase it after he had a major seizure last week. With that said. Why would he have them again twice in one day? Could the medicine be too strong? She applied for social security since she misses work when this happens. Now she missed several days in a pay period and she can't afford it. She can't afford the gas to run him to the drs. She now has to appeal and has more medical info to give them since she just got denied and suddenly he had 3 in a weeks time, 2 in one day. Not to mention the meds being to much for the boy. Has anyone had to deal with this? What was done for your child or what did you have to do? She is so frustrated and upset. Not to mentioned scared for her little boy. She is a single mom and gets no child support so she can't afford to quit her job to stay home wiht her son. Her job has her on report for missing days so now has to make sure she has dr notes every single time to take in if she calls out or has to leave. That is the only thing to keep her from getting fired so far.<FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">She works 3 or 4 day a week and it costs her $10 a day to get to work and back. She doesn't know what to do. If she got the Social security for her son then she would have some income to pay her bills if she missed to many days that of course are unpaid. She can't go with no income.
    <FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">
    <FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">She is hoping there is someone that has been through this that can give her some advice. Can diets effect anything? all the processed food kids eat, I wonder if that can be a contributing factor sometimes.
    <FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">Any help she appreciates,
    <FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">Debbie

Ann Garner

First, yes, diet can affect seizures. She needs to get a first aid

book and read about seizures. They can be quite frightening to see,

but are not life-threatening in most instances. I assume her son is

in day care. She needs to make sure that whoever is taking care of

her child while she works understands seizures, too. She also needs

to sit down and talk to her son, and kids are a lot smarter than many

people recognize. She needs to ask him if he can tell when he is

about to have one. If so, she needs to see if he is willing to sit

down and just close his eyes and relax before it hits. If nothing

else, this will make him less likely to be injured from a

fall. That's the big problem, injuries from falls are the main

problem with seizures. No, people do not swallow their tongues when

they have seizures. One boy on the school bus I rode had seizures,

and he had forgotten to take his medicine one morning and had a

seizure on the bus.

She should also go to her employment's human resources person, not

just her supervisor, and discuss the matter with that

person. Employers are human, and they may have some program for the

employees in place that could help her out.

Ann in Arkansas

Susan Schmieg

How big is the company she works for? There is the Family Leave bill to protect her. She will have to get the forms from her HR dept. and have the doctor fill them out. There is a place for intermittent time off. This will protect her job. My husband had to do this when my daughter had issues. Also what state do you live in? Here in Minnesota there is a place that deals with only epilepsy and I understand they are very good. There is a National Epilepsy Foundation (or something like that), maybe they can refer your daughter to someone who specializes in children. Does your state have a medical assistance program that can help with copays, mileage, etc. Have your daughter save everything regarding each dr visit, hosp vist, everything, that will help with her getting SSI for her son. Does her son have any other spec issues? He may qualify for spec ed thru the school district, may be worth checking into. My son had staring spells for a couple years they have stopped now, that they think were seizures, that was scary enough, I can't even imagine going thru what your daughter and grandson are going thru.

Sue

----- Original Message -----
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 8:18 AM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Does anyone here have a child that has seizures often?

<FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">My daughter asked me to find info. My daughters son is now 3 years old. At 2 1/2 she found himhaving a seizure and called the ambulance, the drchecked him out and were not sure the causeand made an appointment for her with a neurologist. He had another seizure and again rushed to the hospital. The dr put her son on medicine then. The neurologist got him in and did tests and found he has very abnormal brain waves on all parts of his brain and said he has epilepsy. Since then he has had seizures and had to have his meds increased and then another added. He was having a seizure just once a month or longer, now he has had 3 in the past week anda half that had to have him taken to the hospital. He has mild ones in between that he just stares and doesn't respond for several minutes and he has them often in between the major ones. The neurologist told her yesterday that the amount of medicine he is on is too strong for a 3 year old child. They had to increase it after he had a major seizure last week. With that said. Why would he have them again twice in one day? Could the medicine be too strong? She applied for social security since she misses work when this happens. Now she missed several days in a pay period and she can't afford it. She can't afford the gas to run him to the drs. She now has to appeal and has more medical info to give them since she just got denied and suddenly he had 3 in a weeks time, 2 in one day. Not to mention the meds being to much for the boy. Has anyone had to deal with this? What was done for your child or what did you have to do? She is so frustrated and upset. Not to mentioned scared for her little boy. She is a single mom and gets no child support so she can't afford to quit her job to stay home wiht her son. Her job has her on report for missing days so now has to make sure she has dr notes every single time to take in if she calls out or has to leave. That is the only thing to keep her from getting fired so far.<FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">She works 3 or 4 day a week and it costs her $10 a day to get to work and back. She doesn't know what to do. If she got the Social security for her son then she would have some income to pay her bills if she missed to many days that of course are unpaid. She can't go with no income.
    <FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">She is hoping there is someone that has been through this that can give her some advice. Can diets effect anything? all the processed food kids eat, I wonder if that can be a contributing factor sometimes.

<PRE>No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.6.0/1601 - Release Date: 8/8/2008 9:02 AM
    </PRE>

Debbie

We live in Pa. She is on medical assistance. I am not sure what the law is here on things but I do think they can't fire you for reasons like her sons issues. She has to fill out a paper. They can lay her off though I think. State here has no program we know of that would reimburse her for mileage and things. She has been looking for help on things. There is a school she is applying too for him to go to during the day for the school year. She is not sure they will accept him yet. Luckily the daycare is understanding of his condition and my other daughter works there so takes care of him when he has an issue. His medicines has made his behavoir awful. He is very hyper, which they say can be a side effect but they can't do anything about that. He can be awful to deal with and other times not too bad but very active. He has torn my daughters home up. Scribbled with ink on her furniture, tears down the curtians, he is a mess. Today now after having 2 seizures yesterday and more meds he is very bad at the day care they say. Normally for them he is pretty good. Any time off would not help as she would have no income and gets no paid sick days or holidays as she is part time.
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir="ltr" style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid;">
    Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 11:28 AM
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Does anyone here have a child that has seizures often?

How big is the company she works for? There is the Family Leave bill to protect her. She will have to get the forms from her HR dept. and have the doctor fill them out. There is a place for intermittent time off. This will protect her job. My husband had to do this when my daughter had issues. Also what state do you live in? Here in Minnesota there is a place that deals with only epilepsy and I understand they are very good. There is a National Epilepsy Foundation (or something like that), maybe they can refer your daughter to someone who specializes in children. Does your state have a medical assistance program that can help with copays, mileage, etc. Have your daughter save everything regarding each dr visit, hosp vist, everything, that will help with her getting SSI for her son. Does her son have any other spec issues? He may qualify for spec ed thru the school district, may be worth checking into. My son had staring spells for a couple years they have stopped now, that they think were seizures, that was scary enough, I can't even imagine going thru what your daughter and grandson are going thru.

Sue

Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 8:18 AM

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.6.0/1601 - Release Date: 8/8/2008 9:02 AM
    </PRE>

</PRE>

Debbie

<FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">She does need to get some books on seizures when she can. Right now money tight and a trip to the library with her kids is like torture. They run around and she can't look at anything. So far her son doesn't seem to know when he will get hit with one. They try to talk to him. The dr said his learning and understanding can be behind the normal with such an abnormal brain pattern. We have no idea what to expect. He is just getting potty trained now after turning 3 in March. He is still in the younger age group at daycare and not yet with the kids his age. He must be potty trained and act their age. I feel so bad for my daughter, she sure goes through so much. Her oldest boy is 6 now and was born with a heart condition. A hole on top that didn't close. He had a mini stroke at age 3 but came out of it okay and the hole miraculously closed. Now he is doing good. Her daughter is only 1in March and finally walking and has to see a nutritionalist since she will not eat. They think its some texture issue. She sure has her hands full. We are praying her daughter doesn't have seizures. The both take after their dads side of the family with issues. Luckily the day care knows to watch him and call her if he has as seizure and call 911 if they are bad. As long as she comes to pick him up when he has one they are okay with it. They deal with autistic children that are very badly behavioral so my grandson is a walk in the park next to them, LOL. I feel she is okay with the daycare thank goodness.
    Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 9:49 AM
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Does anyone here have a child that has seizures often?

First, yes, diet can affect seizures. She needs to get a first aid
    book and read about seizures. They can be quite frightening to see,
    but are not life-threatening in most instances. I assume her son is
    in day care. She needs to make sure that whoever is taking care of
    her child while she works understands seizures, too. She also needs
    to sit down and talk to her son, and kids are a lot smarter than many
    people recognize. She needs to ask him if he can tell when he is
    about to have one. If so, she needs to see if he is willing to sit
    down and just close his eyes and relax before it hits. If nothing
    else, this will make him less likely to be injured from a
    fall. That's the big problem, injuries from falls are the main
    problem with seizures. No, people do not swallow their tongues when
    they have seizures. One boy on the school bus I rode had seizures,
    and he had forgotten to take his medicine one morning and had a
    seizure on the bus.

She should also go to her employment's human resources person, not
    just her supervisor, and discuss the matter with that
    person. Employers are human, and they may have some program for the
    employees in place that could help her out.

Ann in Arkansas

</PRE>

ro so

I can answer a few of your questions since our 7 year old also has seizures because of her disablity.

First, there are several types of seizures, can't remember all of them but when you do a search on seizures you should be able to find out. Ali has had a grand mal, mini-mal, absence and drop seizures. Each kind of seizure sometimes need different medications since not all medications work for all seizures which is why sometimes they give a "drug cocktail" of drugs. Ali's neuro said that it can take several attempts to find out what works for a paticuliar child. Ali on takes topamax-25mg twice a day which is a very low dose but it controls her seizures.

As for her job, have her put in for family leave whichwill cover her when she has to leave. Family leave is a total of 12 weeks or 480 hours per year (this is what my company gave). Yes, family leave may be use by the hour which most don't know about. I sometimes had to take off an hour to take Ali to the doctor and my supervisor would keep track of the time I missed. As long as she has the documentation in her files, they can not fire her or write her up.

As for diets, my neuro said that that in rare cases an allergy or not being able to tolerate a certain food can aggravate seizures. Also, constipation in some children can also bring on seizures along with stress, viruses and infections. Tempature and humidity can also cause siezures--Ali will have seizures if she becomes too hot or if the temp changes dramatically. Humidity also effects her. There isa diet that is used sometimes to control seizures called the ketogetic (or something like that)diet but it is only used for someone that has many seizures a day and is only under a doctor's care since it can be dangerous if not done properly.

Becky

--- On Fri, 8/8/08, Debbie <dbshelly@ptd.net> wrote:

Date: Friday, August 8, 2008, 8:18 AM

<DIV id="yiv1359885542">

<FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">My daughter asked me to find info. My daughters son is now 3 years old. At 2 1/2 she found himhaving a seizure and called the ambulance, the drchecked him out and were not sure the causeand made an appointment for her with a neurologist. He had another seizure and again rushed to the hospital. The dr put her son on medicine then. The neurologist got him in and did tests and found he has very abnormal brain waves on all parts of his brain and said he has epilepsy. Since then he has had seizures and had to have his meds increased and then another added. He was having a seizure just once a month or longer, now he has had 3 in the past week anda half that had to have him taken to the hospital. He has mild ones in between that he just stares and doesn't respond for several minutes and he has them often in between the major ones. The neurologist told her yesterday that the amount of medicine he is on
    is too strong for a 3 year old child. They had to increase it after he had a major seizure last week. With that said. Why would he have them again twice in one day? Could the medicine be too strong? She applied for social security since she misses work when this happens. Now she missed several days in a pay period and she can't afford it. She can't afford the gas to run him to the drs. She now has to appeal and has more medical info to give them since she just got denied and suddenly he had 3 in a weeks time, 2 in one day. Not to mention the meds being to much for the boy. Has anyone had to deal with this? What was done for your child or what did you have to do? She is so frustrated and upset. Not to mentioned scared for her little boy. She is a single mom and gets no child support so she can't afford to quit her job to stay home wiht her son. Her job has her on report for missing days so now has to make sure she has dr notes every single
    time to take in if she calls out or has to leave. That is the only thing to keep her from getting fired so far.<FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">She works 3 or 4 day a week and it costs her $10 a day to get to work and back. She doesn't know what to do. If she got the Social security for her son then she would have some income to pay her bills if she missed to many days that of course are unpaid. She can't go with no income.

Debbie

<FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">She lives in an apartment and pets are not allowed. Thanks for the prayers. Debbie
    Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 7:02 PM

Cebbie, later could she apply for a dog that can detect when he is going to have seizures?
    It would be wonderful if she could stay home w/ them. Prayers coming your way.
    [quote]
    Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 11:41 AM

<FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">She does need to get some books on seizures when she can. Right now money tight and a trip to the library with her kids is like torture. They run around and she can't look at anything. So far her son doesn't seem to know when he will get hit with one.

</PRE>

Debbie

<FONT face="Arial" color="#0000ff">he has grand mal seizures and then other times he will just stare and not respond for a few minutes if you try to talk to him or anything then comes out like he didn't realize he blanked out a minute or so. he also has mini mals. Topamax is the one he is on along with Kapra (sp?) With him having 2 yesterday I am not sure what the drs will do next.
    Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 4:45 PM

<TABLE cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" border="0">

<TD vAlign="top">

I can answer a few of your questions since our 7 year old also has seizures because of her disablity.

First, there are several types of seizures, can't remember all of them but when you do a search on seizures you should be able to find out. Ali has had a grand mal, mini-mal, absence and drop seizures. Each kind of seizure sometimes need different medications since not all medications work for all seizures which is why sometimes they give a "drug cocktail" of drugs. Ali's neuro said that it can take several attempts to find out what works for a paticuliar child. Ali on takes topamax-25mg twice a day which is a very low dose but it controls her seizures.

As for her job, have her put in for family leave whichwill cover her when she has to leave. Family leave is a total of 12 weeks or 480 hours per year (this is what my company gave). Yes, family leave may be use by the hour which most don't know about. I sometimes had to take off an hour to take Ali to the doctor and my supervisor would keep track of the time I missed. As long as she has the documentation in her files, they can not fire her or write her up.

As for diets, my neuro said that that in rare cases an allergy or not being able to tolerate a certain food can aggravate seizures. Also, constipation in some children can also bring on seizures along with stress, viruses and infections. Tempature and humidity can also cause siezures--Ali will have seizures if she becomes too hot or if the temp changes dramatically. Humidity also effects her. There isa diet that is used sometimes to control seizures called the ketogetic (or something like that)diet but it is only used for someone that has many seizures a day and is only under a doctor's care since it can be dangerous if not done properly.

Becky

--- On Fri, 8/8/08, Debbie <dbshelly@ptd.net> wrote:

Date: Friday, August 8, 2008, 8:18 AM

<DIV id="yiv1359885542">

</PRE>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast