Thread: need advice....

Lynne

Default need advice....

My daughter Melissa is trying to start a daycare so she can be home

with her son. She is great with kids and have always loved babysitting

but cannot seem to get any kids in her home. Any suggestions of how to

bring in kids, pricing, advertising etc would be greatly appreciated.

Also any other ideas for earning money at home are always welcome.

Thanks,

Lynne

Suzi McMullen

Default need advice....

Lynne,
    Does your daughter live in a metropolitan area? I used to do so many things. I used to make up cards on my computer advertising whatever I was looking for at the time, ages, times, prices, tell about what we do all day etc. I'd make them bit 5 by 8 cards, colorful and sort of like a very small brochure. Then I would go to the grocery stores and buy the sale items and keep an eye out for kids. I'd offer the card to people. Some snubbed me. Others asked questions on the spot. But the majority put the card away and sometimes I heard from them months later.

I also advertise in the paper DAILY for a month when I need kids. It's expensive, but it always nets me whatever I need and I have to turn people away. Advertising on Sunday alone is almost always a waste. People find out about jobs during the week and they get mad at their providers during the week and they open the paper to see who is advertising.

She needs to check out the laws of her state and make sure she can take care of a few without being licensed and then start that process if she needs to or wants to.

It's difficult to get that first few. But once she does it will all fall into place.

Magnets for the car are pretty cheap. I've made them for my van at times. Tell her to have confidence and never call herself a babysitter. Always go into interviews with the attitude that she is interviewing them. Talk about what they will do during the day and how that child will fit into the schedule. Use a sales technique called assuming the sale. Ask when she intends to start and does she want the husband to come by first. Often the husbands don't come at all. But this gives her a chance to assume the sale.

She's welcome to email me personally at: smcmullen@kc.rr.com

Suzi

coutant5

Default need advice....

Hi, my sister does this and I worked for a little while in a daycare center. I would advise her to print up a sheet for each child everyday. Check the child in front of the parents for bruises and bumps. Check diaper area, make sure child doesn't feel likewarm (fever).Feel the head for bumps if it is a toddler. Have the parent sign the check in sheet...it is so important in the event there could be child abuse and someone tries to blame her!
    My sister found one child at her church and word of mouth gave her 5! She charges 100.00 a week bring their own food and snacks, 7:30-5:00.. late fees if they are late.. discussed ahead of time. She lives in Florida.
    Debbie
    [quote]
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:01 PM
    Subject: Budget101.com : need advice....

Thanks,
    Lynne

Tressa Watts

Default need advice....

Where I live..(washington state) once you are liscenced the liscencing agency will actual refer parents to you...

<HR id="EC_stopSpelling">
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:01:26 &#43;0000
    Subject: Budget101.com : need advice....

Thanks,
    Lynne

<hr>Time for vacation? WIN what you need. Enter Now!

Therese Serres

Default need advice....

I do childcare. She should join one or two of the many of the childcare yahoo lists. They have lots of great ideas on how to advertise. Have her join a childcare support group in her area, they have referral lists. lots of people advertise on craigslist. Child resource and referals in her area should have classes on marketing, etc. T

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 7:44 PM, coutant5 <coutant5@bellsouth.net> wrote:

<div style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff;" bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <font face="Arial" size="2">Hi, my sister does this and I worked for a little while in a daycare center. I would advise her to print up a sheet for each child everyday. Check the child in front of the parents for bruises and bumps. Check diaper area, make sure child doesn&#39;t feel likewarm (fever).Feel the head for bumps if it is a toddler. Have the parent sign the check in sheet...it is so important in the event there could be child abuse and someone tries to blame her!
    <font face="Arial" size="2">My sister found one child at her church and word of mouth gave her 5! She charges 100.00 a week bring their own food and snacks, 7:30-5:00.. late fees if they are late.. discussed ahead of time. She lives in Florida.
    <font face="Arial" size="2">Debbie
    <blockquote style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid;">
    <div style="FONT: 10pt arial;">----- Original Message -----
    <div style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4;FONT: 10pt arial;">From: Lynne
    <div style="FONT: 10pt arial;">To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    <div style="FONT: 10pt arial;">Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:01 PM
    <div style="FONT: 10pt arial;">Subject: Budget101.com : need advice....

Thanks,
    Lynne

[/quote]