Thread: Sticker Shock

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Sticker Shock

How to decode the stickers on your fruits and vegetables to protect the health of your family!

Read More: Article: Sticker Shock
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! I never knew all this information was on the fruits and veggies PLU. This is great knowledge and definitely one I will use on my next and future shopping trips. Thanks for all the tips, this site has been a great source of information for me.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was curious about the accuracy of this post, specifically with reference to the GMO code, so I went to a site that is generally recognized as a place where you can confirm the accuracy of internet information. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name the site.)

The information I received there indicates that while this article is accurate, it is incomplete. The use of these codes is voluntary, and as of May 2013, they know of no supplier or vendor that has used the leading 8 to indicate GMO. The speculation is that if those suppliers or vendors suspect that consumers won't buy them, they will not label them. This is the heart of the controversy sweeping the country right now about GMO protection.

However, there is another way to be sure you don't buy GMO produce. It is illegal to label any GMO produce as organic. So if you stick to organic produce, you'll assure yourself that it isn't GMO. I have opted to grow as much as possible of my own produce, using heirloom seeds that are certified non-GMO. That way I know for sure.

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good info I mainly buy organic. Thanks

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Good Info alway wary of GMO produce.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

really appreciate this info- hoping to buy a home so we can plant to save our health